Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Last Post of 2015

If you remember, the weather around Halloween was simply beautiful, so I started whining. We have a camper and never use it. BF simply doesn't like to go places...so to keep me happy, he hauled me to Branson and dropped me off for a week. 
I think he needed a week of quiet and to get away from me...
I was left with no transportation, but the campground has shuttle services to Silver Dollar City.  Yep...October/Craft Festival at Silver Dollar City.
This was the walk I took, in the mornings, to get to the shuttle.
Refreshing and simply beautiful. 
 The next three pics are of campers (not mine) but they had decorated for Halloween.
 Fancy...
 We have a small 5th wheel...not fancy like these. Just big enough for the two of us.
 BF didn't stay.
I had some books, my knitting, a TV, internet service and some TV dinners and lots of snacks...OOoh and my camera...
This is the bus that took me to and from Silver Dollar City. 
It made trips back and forth several times a day, so I wasn't stranded.
 Have you been to Silver Dollar City???
I can't count the number of times I've been there. Back when the boys were young, we would go there every summer. We'd tent camp. Great times.
Lately I've taken my granddaughter. We'd go with my sister and her grandkids. The lesson here is that if there's enough kids, you don't have to go on the rides with them.
 SDC is a man-made (see the falls in the picture above) amusement park located in the hills of southern Missouri. 
Lots of rides, entertainment, crafts, and folks in period costumes. Kind of turn of the century times... 
When I first started going there~way back in the olden days (hahaha)~the crafts sold were handmade, now they're made in China. OOh well...I won't harp on that, this post.
 There are still demonstrations~this is at the Iron Shop. My fav is the candy shop...they give out free samples. 
During October, crafters come from all over. Also the past few years they've had cowboy artisans. So I had plenty to do/watch and photograph while I was there.
 As you can see by her hands, this lady was quite elderly, but she could still play a mean fiddle. She was in a booth and sold handcrafted fiddles...duh!!!
SDC goes all out when it comes to decorating. The theme, this year, was scarecrows and pumpkins...they were everywhere. Flowers too...both real and fake displays.
At Christmastime, it's only open in the evening. Hundreds of thousands of twinkling lights. I been here once, during that time, but probably won't do it again. Just too many people.  
 They also have old buildings. This old school, an old farm, church, homes from that period. Most of the stores have been made to look like this...really fun...oooh and the rides are modern, but made to look old too!!!
 They've got all the current rides...water and roller coasters, they just "look" turn of the century. The train is the only ride this ole gal will do, anymore...hahaha
I've always gone there with kids. We've done all the rides. This time, I went there to do some photography, enjoy some shows and music and crafts.
This time of year, the campground was quiet. The leaves were crunchy and the air was refreshing. I knitted (neck scarves) for friends and family and enjoyed the quiet.
Oooh and I meditated...
Ommmm

8 comments:

Linda Starr said...

I love train rides and the falls are wonderful even if manmade

turquoisemoon said...

Linda, It's getting to where riding the train rides are the only rides I do anymore. The water ones used to be so much fun, when I was younger, but now just the thought of soggy clothes makes me cringe...

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Silver Dollar City looks like a lot of fun! Maybe getting away on your own with the fifth wheel for a little holiday is a good idea -- I know I love being on my own every once in awhile!

Out on the prairie said...

It has grown since I was there last

turquoisemoon said...

Debra, I like to be on my own and do it quite often. I've found that I'm even becoming more of a loner, the older I get. It's a perfect for BF...he never wants to go anywhere, and really enjoys his time with the furbabies and old westerns on TV...

Steve, Ooh my it's really changed since the first time I was there. I was in my early 20's the first time...sheesh! that's a long time ago!!!

barbara judge said...

One of my favorite things to do is take me, myself, and I AND my camera on loner trips. It is the only way I can concentrate on shooting. You got some really nice shots of your time in Silver Dollar City -- thanks -- barbara

turquoisemoon said...

Thank you, Barbara. I love taking pics and really go kindof zen when shooting. When I'm taking pics, I am totally focused (pun) but I really am. There's no brain chatter, no nothing...just me and what I'm looking at. I love going on loner trips or getting out with other photographers.

Linda said...

I love that photo of the woman with the fiddle...Love it!! I love the fall but right now I am ready for Spring...LOL Hope all is well...Peace :)