Friday, January 1, 2016

Arigato becomes Maggie

Hey...it's 2016 and I'm not caught up posting events in 2015!
This is a biggie and I must start at the beginning.
My Lucy is a beautiful Cairn Terror...oops! Terrier. She's rotten to the core and smart beyond belief. She's my spoiled furbaby and I love her to pieces. She is the model for several of my photographs that are for sale. I change them up (photoshop) so they'll just look like anyone's Cairn, so a customer will be urged to buy~and I do sell quite a few cause the person tells me that the photo looks just like the one they had/have...whatever.
I love the breed. I love the silly,smart, conniving, devious, sneaky, untrustworthy lil cuties...they're a challenge and I enjoy finally outsmarting someone, sometimes.
I'm also a transporter for CPCRN. That's Col. Potter Cairn Rescue Network. When called, I participate in transporting rescued dogs from all over. It normally takes a team to get one moved to it's new foster mom/dad. Or from foster to forever home.
Late last month we had a rescue from Colorado. The little dog was moved to the Topeka area and was so scared that she stayed there for a week. That transporter and I hooked up on a Friday night and the lil girl (Arigato~which means Thank you in Japanese) had to spend the night at my house and I was to get up the next morning and do my driving shift. It would take 10 drivers and two overnights to get her to a suburb of Detroit...that's where her foster mom and dad live.
This was the gentle dog we were transporting. She was eight years old and never been outside her pen. She was a breeder dog in a puppy mill. The sweater was purchased for her by the first intake person...this sweetness just won everybodies heart, including mine.
  Well I had to do my transport duties and send her on her way, but I got busy and put in my adoption papers for her. CPCRN required that they go to the foster for at least two weeks for vetting and evaluations. Adoptions can take quite a long time, but because I'm a transporter and it was getting near the Christmas holidays making forming a team to transport her back to me would be difficult and not to mention how the weather may take a turn for the worst, again making the formation of a team even more difficult~ I made things easy for them and told them that I'd simply go get her.
CPCRN required all sorts of info on me, bf, house, and other pets. I had to give four references, list my vet, and phone numbers of people that might help if I needed something. Trust me, each reference and my vet was interviewed.  I also had to tell them of what I planned to feed her, how would she be exercised, how I housebreak,  if my backyard was fenced and much more. I had two phone interviews, then another volunteer had to come by my house and check it out. She entered every room and also the back yard, basement and garage.
Here's the deal...they believe these babies have suffered enough and want to make every possible attempt to place them in thier forever home and that it be forever...
To Be Continued 
ommmm

10 comments:

ellen abbott said...

I've never had to go through all that just to have a dog. I do have a new dog, one I wasn't looking for, didn't want and certainly if I had wanted a dog it would not be a little dog. But she showed up in the yard last summer thirsty, hungry little 3 month old who I guess had been dumped out here in the country. Didn't take her long to worm her way into our hearts. She's rat terrier/chihuahua mix, funny, sweet, smart, energetic, loving little thing.

Linda Starr said...

so sad how people treat animals especially those who are supposed to be pets, thanks for doing this for these sweet dogs

Out on the prairie said...

It is nice to hear concern for these lost babies. I admire your vigilance to find new homes for them.

turquoisemoon said...

Ellen, CPCRN is very diligent in getting these precious babies in their forever home. These lil ones have endured so much trauma in their little lives and CPCRN doesn't want to add to it.

Linda~Makes my heart hurt...

Steve, CPCRN has saved 4046 Cairns and Cairn mixes since 2001.

One Fly said...

Yo TMoon, I remember when you got this dog. It was hard. Now you go get another. I hope so. How things change. Good on your pictures and may 016 be even better for you!

turquoisemoon said...

Fly, Hey Fly...SPOILER ALERT...yes I got her. More about it in my next blog.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Arigato for the story of Arigato! I'm glad this story has a happy ending!

turquoisemoon said...

Debra...hahaha, you must have read my spoiler alert. Yes, it's a very happy ending for all of us.

Out on the prairie said...

I have 15 head of those sheep, so will have babies in the spring if you would like one.

turquoisemoon said...

Hi Steve, No thank you. Did the sheep thing a couple of years ago. I think I even posted a blog about it. They were born during a freezing snowstorm in early Feb. BF brought several of them home to hand feed. They got big and ate my mom's rocking chair, something I treasured... No more sheep!!! hahaha