Sunday, January 17, 2016

Always Looking for Free Stuff to Photo

Free in Kansas City

(Oooh and I'm still catching up with 2015)
 Of course there's nature, but I'm talking about looking for places and events to photograph.
The American Royal comes to KC in the fall..
 The Friday and Saturday events cost lots of money, but the competition during the week is free.
The Saddle-bred show comes to town with it's flashy horses, excitement, great entertainment and Free...
Below is William Shatner aka Captain Kirk of the Starship Enterprise.
I didn't know it was him, till the placing of awards for this particular class. 

I spent two days photographing this show and completely free ( except stopping at the Rosedale BBQ for lunch on my way home)  Gotta plug this old BBQ place, not famous/not expensive, but fantastic!!! I've frequented this place since the late 60's.

The Cutting Hose Competition
I spent another two days photographing this show. I've been here so many times that I'm recognized as a "regular". This year, I was invited to sit with the judges. Wow...what an experience. The view is completely different from this pov.
Not too many people attend these during the week. Most go only for the Finale...normally held on a Friday or Saturday night and that costs...
This year, I thought I'd try to catch some races, both foot, bicycle and maybe cars. I've found that I love shooting action shots. 
Any other ideas???
Ommmm

8 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

You are getting SO good at action shots! I remember your posts from when you first started this type of photos.

turquoisemoon said...

Thanks, Debra!!! I'm learning... I can remember practicing,in the back yard with my dog, Lucy. I'm having so much fun(and learning lots)...

Manzanita said...

Hey there Ms. Royalty, sitting up there with the judges. You did a gorgeous catch of shutter on that Dan Patch type horse.
That is my favorite type of horse racing. I'm glad you had such a delightful 2 days.

Arkansas Patti said...

I knew Bill Shatner was in to horses. Good to see he is still active. Horses would be my favorite thing to photograph if I had the talent. You got some really nice shots. Well done.

One Fly said...

Not sure if a "regular" is good or bad.

turquoisemoon said...

Manzanita, It was so much fun! I loved getting to do this...

Patti, Yes! and he was extremely competitive. He didn't finish first, but I'm thinking he was in the top three. Just call ma "paparazzi" hahaha

Fly...ooh it's a good thing at a horse show. Bars??? maybe not so... hahaha

Out on the prairie said...

Always love a good horse show, I lived close to a venue for years.I have bid on a few, but never high enough lately. Looked over some minatures last week.

turquoisemoon said...

Hi Steve, I showed Quarter Horses (AQHA) for about 15 yrs. I've never had so much fun in my life... Never laughed so hard!!!