Friday, December 4, 2015

Learning

The thing that is keeping me occupied, since retirement, is photography.
...and here's where I'm at now.
 When I shoot, I have a certain vision in my minds eye...and when I pull the pic off the camera the result is often not my vision. It's just so very two dimensional. I like taking pics that either tells a story or carries a mooooood. I'm a curious person and want my pics to pique the viewer interest. Most feel satisfying, but some just don't. 
Take, for example, The Farley Mercantile. It's an interesting building and I can imagine it's history, but the buildings beside it were butt ugly. I got rid of the trash, the neighboring ugly building and gave it a moody background. Now, though not perfect, it has the feel I desired and was a great learning tool for me.
 This Buddha was just flat...I wanted it to "feel" mystical.
Shaded it to a golden color, softened the pic and added some tiny splatters. I think the splatters added a hint of light energy??? 
 This truck was beside an adobe building and splattered with bird poop. sigh...I spent hours spot healing the splatters. The sun had washed out the adobe wall to a white wall. The photo was uninteresting and was not what I really saw when I took the pic. Again I softened the truck and enhanced the adobe colors with the colors from the truck. Now I'm happy...this is what I wanted/saw when I put the camera to my face. This was simply a battle with the sun. It had gotten too high in the sky and washed out all my colors...except the poop...hahaha...just my luck.
 Standing by itself in the field, was this spent sunflower.  I thought it was beautiful. Weedy, droopy petals, faded, but it seemed to still have dignity. When the picture was processed...ugh!!! The stark white background made it look just dead...the dignity was gone. Summer Kansas skies are a grayish white and when processed, they are just white and very boring. Pics taken in this sun don't pop...they fade and any fading on this pic ruined the story~Aging with Dignity. I added a textured background (thanks to photoshop masking) and a border and waa laa...
 This old phone was really cool. It was wood brown and on brown wood...get it??? It was a practice piece for the train below.
Most of the time, I want what comes off the camera, but I'm not a purist...I'll do whatever is needed to please myself . I want that mood, I want that pop.  I can now finally challenge that summer cloudless whitish gray sky...or at least I'm learning...
ommmm

11 comments:

Linda Starr said...

Very nice, more like paintings than photos.

One Fly said...

She's alive!!

Hi Lynn - always have enjoyed your passion for pictures.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Great photos and even greater editing! I laughed about the bird poop.

Out on the prairie said...

Looks like you have it down pat. Had a friend take a photo shop class at the local community college to get the software real cheap.I never used it.

turquoisemoon said...

Linda, I'm learning and it's such a slow process for me. I tend to get frustrated easily and give up.

Fly, Hi!! and yes, I'm alive!!! OOoh I love photography. I've got so much to learn and so many pictures to take...

Debra, Lucy, my Cairn Terror (terrier)loves rolling in it...sheesh!!!

Steve, Ooh no...it's not down pat. There's so much to learn.

Manzanita said...

Good to hear you are enjoying retirement . It goes by fast when
you have a special hobby ...... like you do. Your pictures show
the fruits of your labor.

turquoisemoon said...

Manzanita~~Thank you!!! I stay so busy, now that I'm "retired".

ellen abbott said...

I like the sunflower best.

turquoisemoon said...

Ellen, That's my fav too...

Linda said...

Love the photos...they are wonderful...especially the Buddha...I think it is very mystical...:) a goal for me this year...a new camera... Have a wonderful New Year!! :)

turquoisemoon said...

Linda, I've seen your pics and they're wonderful. I think a new camera should be on your short list for this year. hahaha Happy New Year!