Thursday, June 18, 2015

Photo Trip to Colorado

Some photo trips are a struggle and this was one of them.
Kansas is really beautiful, at least I think so. I love crossing the Flint Hills...but, when you're on I-70, you really think before stopping. Cars are flying by at 75 + mph. Driving also has a different vantage point, so to stop, the photo op must be wonderful. Sometimes, I see something I want to photograph, from the car, but when I stop it just doesn't look quite the same. And, sometimes just finding a place to park is the challenge. One of my favorite stops is Goodland, Ks. I found a wonderful place to photograph old cars. This time, I took a photograph The Big Easel. All these little towns have something, beside gas stations, to pull you off the highway. Prairie Dog Village, Fort Hays, Rock Post Country, oooh and huge balls of twine...hahaha!
 We got to Manitou Springs early enough to head out for the Garden of the Gods.
Sheesh...no way would I get off the path to try to photograph anything from a different angle or perspective.
 How touristy is this pic??? Ooh and that's Pikes Peak in the background...
 Cripple Creek has a small herd of burros that roam the town. Burros don't pose and don't stop to be photographed. I chased this herd for about an hour trying to get some fun pics...humpf!!!
 We got there early and workers frowned as I came near with camera...
 Yum...ice cream at 10am. A benefit of being on vacation, you can have ice cream as early as you want.  I wouldn't think of doing this at home. Vacation ice cream has no calories...or so I've been told.
 Off to the Sand Dunes. 
We listen to books on tape as we traveled to our next destination.
A cold, sandy stream separated us from the dunes and it was getting late. 
Just the thought of wet and sandy tennis shoes caused us to decide to come back in the morning...and sure enough, the next morning it rained.
Bars have the best hamburgers.  The very best...
From the highway, this was incredible. We drove about 30 minutes to get to the parking lot. They charged $10 for the tour... this pic is from the back, the cheap side...I think I got screwed...hahaha
to be continued...
ommmm

6 comments:

Out on the prairie said...

Starting the trip a little bumpy it seems. I need to get moving and get out that way.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Looks like a fun trip -- certainly a variety of things to photograph!

Linda Starr said...

wow, spectacular scenery; you are doing a lot of traveling, I am so envious, I hope to spend some time in Colorado one of these days, Gary lived in Boulder before we met.

turquoisemoon said...

Steve, I love going there. Also, going with a photo pal is perfect. We shoot pics~no going to museums or just sight see. We'd get our shots and move on...perfect for me anyway.

Debra~It was fun, but we really did work to try to get some good photographs.

Linda...luv retirement!!!

Plowing Through Life (Martha) said...

What a fun trip. Well, maybe not the rattlesnake warning :) How high is that easel? That is pretty incredible.

turquoisemoon said...

Hi Martha, That easel was very high, but I don't know for sure. The trip was fun, but it was difficult to take some of the pics I wanted to take.