Friday, May 8, 2015

Wild Horses

 I went to the Missouri Ozarks for a couple of days with a photo group.
The first day we headed out to see if we could find the herd of wild horses and we did.
I tromped through these tall weeds/grasses to get out in the field near them...and yes! I had used lots of bug spray. In fact, I practically took a bath in it.
They didn't run from us, in fact them seemed curious and came pretty close.
They stay near one of the rivers. This area has lots of rivers and natural springs. I remember going canoeing in this area in my younger wilder/drinking days. hahaha...
This area is the Ozark National Scenic Riverways. 
The fella (above) was quite the stallion.
The old mare below still has a haunting beauty.
These beautiful wild horses are now protected by law...
The herd was mostly grays and whites and light dapple in color.
The mare, below, was ready to pop.
I honestly think she was ready to foal any day...wouldn't that have been something to see!!!
I think being "wild" makes them special.
I was lucky to get to photograph them...very lucky!
ommmm

17 comments:

One Fly said...

You did well TMoon.

Out on the prairie said...

Those ponies always catch my eye. Nice area to play, I need to visit there again.

turquoisemoon said...

Thanks Fly! I had a great time and it was fun being there with other photographers. Got to learn some new photo stuff.

Steve, It's beautiful!!!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Yes, photographing anything in the wild these days is a rare treat and a privilege!

Linda Starr said...

These are beautiful photos, don't want to get any tick bites, lymes and worse they carry.

Arkansas Patti said...

How very special that you could get so close and that they are protected and can live life the way it was meant to be. That stallion really is a handsome fellow.

turquoisemoon said...

Debra, I agree...this was an amazing privilege. It was an awesome adventure for me.

Linda, I bathed in tick stuff and still ended up with one...ugh!!! It was in my hair toward the back of my head. I was a mess till I got it off.

Patti, Wasn't he the dude!!! I'm so glad they're protected too. They were so fun to watch.

Manzanita said...

I can feel the energy of the horse through your pictures. You got some beautiful shots and what a fun/happy trip that must have been.

turquoisemoon said...

Manzanita, I think I love photography the most because it helps satisfy my curious nature.

ellen abbott said...

back when I was doing the river guide thing we would come on horses quite frequently even having them come into camp. one night a horse galloped through the camp where everyone was spread out sleeping and fortunately no one got hurt.

turquoisemoon said...

Ellen, Wow...you guys were so lucky that no one got hurt. Where were you a guide? What river?

Teresa Evangeline said...

What fun, and beautiful photos!

turquoisemoon said...

Teresa, Wow!!! How are you??? I haven't been blogging very much and have probably missed some of your posts. I must research this and get caught up.

ellen abbott said...

I did the Rio Grande thru Boquillas Canyon mostly, a three day canoe trip, in Big Bend. also did several other canyons in the park and the Lower Canyons once. The Colorado and the Brazos here in Texas. I've done the 90 mile trip on the Pecos four times but not as a guide, all personal trips with friends.

turquoisemoon said...

Ellen...that's amazing. Have you ever posted about this? I must have missed it and I'd love to read about it. That must have been grand times! I must look up those areas, I'm not familiar with the the Brazos.

Teresa Evangeline said...

I'm concentrating on my micropoetry blog ... it sure is fun to connect again .. :))

turquoisemoon said...

Teresa, I'm glad we've connected again too. I think I've signed up to receive a notification when you post to your poetry blog. I'll check for awhile to make sure.