Monday, May 4, 2015

Weekend Re-enactors

Chilly, damp weather doesn't stop these hearty souls from spending weekend nights in tents and cooking over open fires.
Dressed in period costumes, they listen to instructions.
 I haven't researched it, but I do wonder why some become Rebels and others the Yankees???
They come marching to battle.
 The North included music to march by.
The battle begins.
It's face to face and fairly close...
That's the way it was. You could actually see your enemy...eye to eye.
 It took time to re-load.
Death is just part of war.
 This little fella was the cutest...
After the mock battle this man explained what all we had just seen.
He talked about the general mood, small skirmishes, the end of the war and what was happening at this particular location. (Missouri/Kansas)
Very few people were here to watch.  As usual, I wondered....???
ommmm

13 comments:

Linda Starr said...

scary fighting, like your old trucks in your etsy shop

turquoisemoon said...

Linda, Thank you! I also shop Etsy.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I admire those who take the time and trouble to be re-enactors. They help keep history and heritage alive.

turquoisemoon said...

Debra, It's a wonderful opportunity to teach children "the way it was". Teach them to appreciate history.

Arkansas Patti said...

Too bad there wasn't a better turnout. I would think it would make history much more interesting for the young.
I have seen one of those but it was the Seminole Indians and Florida soldiers. They really do get into it.

turquoisemoon said...

Patti, Yes it was too bad. Prolly too busy on their computers and i phones, i pads or whatever they use.

Out on the prairie said...

A fun activity to watch.

turquoisemoon said...

Steve, Yes it is fun and informative.

Cathy Sherman said...

Hi, Great photos!

I've driven by that house thousands of times and never seen anything going on. Thanks to your sharp eye, now I've gotten to see one of the re-enactors' events there.

I recently went to a re-enactment in Texas at a former Confederate POW camp in Tyler. Fascinating event. I'd wondered who decided to be the Yankee POWs. Maybe they draw straws.

Manzanita said...

These are fun to watch and soak up the atmosphere. These people really "get into this." I talked to some Who had to have (or tried to find) the exact clothing from the time...... right down to the scratchy underwear. LOL

turquoisemoon said...

Cathy, hahaha...I was on my way to Crick Camera and saw the activities.

Manz,I think it might be fun, like maybe one time. Yep, I think I could do it once. I just couldn't go without makeup.

ellen abbott said...

the Civil War was such a horrible thing, tearing families apart (my own included), as all wars are I guess. I do not understand why some people want to re-enact it.

turquoisemoon said...

Ellen, I think maybe history buffs and also, maybe??? we can learn from it.