Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Ozarks

I went on a photo vacation to the Ozarks recently. I went with a group and stayed in the town of Eminence, Mo. A small town with only three cafes. Kind of funny...one of them still allows smoking at the tables. Brought back memories...hahaha
On Friday night we went to the only cafe with a buffet. Being from the city, I'm used to huge buffet selections. This one had two options: fried catfish or broiled catfish. Also, I'm used to one whole section of the buffet devoted to deserts. This one had one!!! warm spiced apples. I'd like to report that it was delicious, but it wasn't. I was hungry and ate what was offered and was happy.
 This is a wooded area and path across from The Klepzig Mill.
This entire area is gorgeous. I went for the Spring photography shoot, but am now tempted to go back for the Fall one. and...Yep! I'd go back to the diner on Friday night for the fried catfish. I really ought to mention that there were two places, in town, with old fashioned burgers with real meat. Not McDonalds! Not fastfood! I had to wait for them to be cooked. Both were wonderful and oooh an old fashioned chocolate shake. I'd give both an A+
 Rocky Falls
We all hooked up each morning at 5am sharp and headed out to take pics.
The frist day was the wild horses (previous post)  Our guide had it all planned and we were busy the entire time. In the afternoon during the icky sunny time, we reviewed our shots and talked about what we could have done better. This was wonderful and constructive. 
 Alley Mill~this place was a photographers dream.
 This is Alley Spring. This entire area is loaded with natural springs. This is where lots of people come to do float trips. I mentioned, in the last post, that I did floats back in my younger, drinking, partying days. They were so much fun...at least I think? they were fun...hahaha
This is the Klepzig Mill. I had to climb all over these huge rocks to get pics.
hmmmm...I'm not as agile nor as balanced as I used to be. Aging?? humpf! We also did a night shoot here and did some light painting. I didn't even try climbing these rocks in the dark...I'm not stupid!
This was a trail we hiked. Just dreamy! To the left of this trail is the Current River.
I had a wonderful time and really got some fun shots and some great photography instruction from the guide. He's a talented landscape photographer. He takes tours to all sorts of fun places. He's currently preparing for his Oregon's Columbia River Gorge Photo Workshop...sigh....
....and ommm

9 comments:

Linda Starr said...

how beautiful, the mill, the waterfalls and the blue flower, love that little trail so inviting

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Wow, that sounds like a great tour shoot and in such a picturesque spot! Some of the best food I've ever had was in small towns and also, some of the worst, LOL!

turquoisemoon said...

Linda, It's a beautiful place and I had a wonderful time. I learned so much...

Debra, I had a great time. You're right! some of the best and some of the worst food...hahaha

Out on the prairie said...

Sometimes it is hard to find good food, I have made a entire meal on ice cream. Not a fan of catfish, ate it too much. Burgers taste better cooked on an older grill, sometimes the small places can be the best.

The guy who owns all those mules in my last post has at least 20, plus a lot of horses.

turquoisemoon said...

Steve, Ooh you are so right. The grill that is "seasoned" is normally the best.

Arkansas Patti said...

Love that mill and the path through the woods. What a beautiful place to visit and shoot.

ellen abbott said...

what a gorgeous spot. I'd have been happy just to hang out in the creeks.

turquoisemoon said...

Patti, I had a wonderful time. We stayed in a small motel. No amenities, but spotless. We were gone at 5am and got back in around 9pm. Exhausted!

Ellen, It was gorgeous. The springs were all natural springs and very deep. They fed the rivers. The Current was a fun one to canoe. Lots of rapids...but not like the ones you did. I would like to read more on your guide experience. Have you had posts???

Cathy Sherman said...

Gorgeous photos, as always. Loved hearing more about your trip here. I'd love to go there with you in the fall!