Sunday, May 31, 2015

Flowers and Rules

The rains stopped long enough to visit the Ewing and Muriel Kauffman Memorial Garden
 This is a two-acre public garden with six fountains, more than 350 varieties of perennials and annual beds that change seasonally. The gardens are contained within a stone and wrought-iron wall.
“Effective July 1, 2015, portrait photography will be prohibited in the Kauffman Memorial Garden. This applies to individuals, groups, and professional photographers visiting the Garden for the sole purpose of organized photo sessions. These sessions have damaged property and disrupted the peace and tranquility that we want to provide for our guests.
You are welcome to take snapshots of the stunning beauty of the Garden during your visit.”
So here's what's happening...professional photographers are taking bridal parties, engagement scenes, high school pics, birthday, etc. pics. Above is a photographer taking one of those pregnant girl pics. While I was there, I saw two professional photographers, and as I was leaving an entire group of bridesmaids were showing up.  This is happening all over the KC area. Parks are also charging photographers. One park caused a stir because their description of a "professional" was a tripod. More and more area parks are prohibiting professional photographers and/or charging fees.
While I somewhat agree with this policy, I also am seeing people not allowing photos of buildings or of using the name of the building in the description. Rules....and more rules.
Makes one wonder where all this is heading???
ommmm

8 comments:

ellen abbott said...

I can understand why they would want to prevent professional photo shoots with large groups there at that walled garden but large parks shouldn't be restrictive.

turquoisemoon said...

Ellen, I've heard rumors that some of the state and maybe even national parks may start this policy too. I worry about too many controls...???

Linda Starr said...

and yet there are cameras (phones) and permanently installed cameras everywhere photographing everything good and bad.

I see the garden's point of view for the amount of money in plants and labor of taking care of the landscape and in what is put into a garden the cost of installations and maintenance is never recouped. Let alone a salary for labor or reimbursement for costs. For example folks came to my lavender gardens open to the public for free; I gave them a tourp they looked in my gift shop and left, saying " you must be retired" , and I said no "just "tired"

If gardens can recoup some dollars for photo shoots, more power to them. most folks have no idea of the cost and labor involved in maintaining a garden.

turquoisemoon said...

Linda, While this is good for garden's, I also see regular parks thinking about this. Also have run into two buildings that don't allow photographs. I can understand "inside" the building, but from the road??? I think I just worry about too much regulation and control.

barbara judge said...

I have seen professional wedding photographers in parks in the last few years. Is it really getting to be a studio rather than a park? My thoughts on regulations in general -- are we really having too darn many -- or is just a bunch of whiners finding rules to limit our ways. -- barbara

turquoisemoon said...

Barbara, Exactly...

Out on the prairie said...

Some people can't follow rules. I saw one group standing next to a don't walk on grass sign for a group shot

turquoisemoon said...

Steve, I know, but the rules don't apply to some...hahaha!!! These are the people that ruin it for all... But what they should do is enforce existing laws, not just make more.