Saturday, April 18, 2015

I Love Lucy

Lucy, my Cairn Terror...oops! Terrier has not been the easiest of my furbabies to raise. I love her to pieces, but she is too smart for her own good. That darling baby (on the side panel) is not as precious her picture might suggest. 
Cairns are a special breed...but aren't they all???  But Cairns are not for everyone. They are not lap dogs and the fact that they don't shed, doesn't make them the best choice for some families. Terriers are highly energetic and if not properly exercised and if they are left on their own, they are prone to getting in trouble.
People often pick out their furbaby based on cuteness. Sheesh...all puppies are cute, but not all breeds are suitable for your particular lifestyle. They preach this, but do people listen? do they think? do they care? Sometimes, the act of just getting the pup/dog is just a person doing something for themself. They think this might be the answer to what's wrong in their life. Some people shop to get that momentary "high",
BF's daughter is getting a divorce. It's painful to watch this extremely beautiful, mother of two, continue to make stupid mistakes. 
...anyway this young lady dropped by this week with an adorable puppy. She was on such a high over the purchase. She bought a designer puppy..cute, but $2000.00??? 
As she described her reasons for this particular pup, one could see that this was simply an impulse. She said that the pet store said that the adult would only grow to about 5 to 7 pounds.  Maltese Cocker mix??? only 7 lbs???  I can almost hear it now, "the pet store ripped me off." Truth is, this educated gal didn't take the time to research the breeds. She simply wanted the rush this purchase offered.
 The entire story had me batting my eyes and my lips quivering... You can probably tell by now that I'm frustrated for so many reasons. As an animal lover, this is particularly double painful because I see this pup ending up in a shelter. 
Did I say anything??? you bet...but fell on deaf ears.
ommmm

12 comments:

One Fly said...

I'm glad it's not mine. Do you need a cat??? A really nice one.

turquoisemoon said...

Fly...NO!!! but put a $2000 price tag on it and call it a designer.

One Fly said...

You people out there very sharp.

Linda Starr said...

omg, I would have blurted (screamed) out i can't even afford my one Er visit and it was less than the cost of that dog.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I had a friend many years ago who bought an extremely expensive purebred dog "for his kids" right after a divorce. The first day he had the dog it ran out into traffic and got killed. The next dog came from the pound.

turquoisemoon said...

Fly...right...

Linda, I did blurt out!!! So stupid in so many ways. That girl is going nuts. Spending that kind of money for a "designer dog" from a pet store (which to me is wrong, because it supports these breeders) It's stupid, it's just wrong, it's crazy...and it's sad!!! Honestly this is jut the tip of the iceberg of the nutty things she's doing. Just Nuts!!!

turquoisemoon said...

Debra, This whole deal is just crazy. I can't even begin...??? I just shake my head over All this nonsense.

ellen abbott said...

Well, that's sad. For her, for the pup.

Out on the prairie said...

Many of us get pets to fill that empty nest. I'm with you on breeds that fit. 101 Dalmations came out and many acquired this breed not realizing they were big terriers. I raised boxers for years before converting to small dogs.

turquoisemoon said...

Ellen, It's sad and very frustrating.

Steve, I do wish people would think before getting dogs. I remember the Dalmatian rush. They were not really good around children, if I remember correctly.

barbara judge said...

I have had Airedales so I am familiar with the terrier breed. And aren't all puppies cute (until they tear down your Venetian blinds or chew up your Oriental rug, etc). There are a few places online that help folks match up their family with the appropriate dog breed. But then again maybe that is something they feel they (the purchaser) don't need? You would make a good consultant for families looking for a dog. -- barbara

turquoisemoon said...

Hi Barbara, Oooh this girl is just being stupid. Isn't marketing something??? Designer breed??? hahaha