Wednesday, March 11, 2015

East vs West

 There is a difference between the east side of RMNP and the west side.
I took these photos of the aspen in fall and named them by the nearest town.
The one below is Aspen Near Grand Lake. The west side of the Continental Divide.
 This one is Aspen Near Estes Park. The east side of the Divide.
There are four visitor centers in RMNP. The information below is found at the Kawuneeche Visitor Center near the beautiful Kawuneeche Valley.
I love this park and go there several times a year. I stop at each visitor center every time I go. Each one offers different information besides the standard info on the park.
I've always found this interesting. 
There's quite a bit of differences between the east and west.
I always make the trip to the Grand Lake area, but never spend much time on the west side.
I've hiked most of the trails on the east side and loved all of them. Some I hike over and over just because of the sheer beauty. I have hiked a few on the west side, but was disappointed. Lulu City is an example.
According to the info below, there are no rattlesnakes in the park. I can remember when I was first told this and I was skeptical.
Do you know why there's no rattlesnakes???
The altitude...
ommm

10 comments:

Out on the prairie said...

A pretty park, I hope to visit soon. I liked to hike in the early summer and get some snow sometimes.

Linda Starr said...

I love aspen trees they way their leaves sway in the wind, lovely photos of them in their colors

turquoisemoon said...

Steve, I've hiked RMNP as early as Memorial Day. Ran into lots of snow. In fact, I broke my foot on a trail because of the heavy snow. In the morning, I just hiked over the drifts. By late afternoon, there had been thawing and I kept punching through the drifts. I fell and broke my foot, but the snow packed my boots and kept my foot from swelling and I was able to hike out.

Linda, I love the way the leaves flicker with the wind and seem to sparkle...simply beautiful, and thank you.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

So rattlesnakes get altitude sickness, do they? Good to know.

turquoisemoon said...

Debra...hahaha!!! No I just don't think that they can afford the fees to get in...hahaha

Angelina Pratt said...

Lovely pictures! I think either side would be glorious depending on your mood. Or maybe, I just hate the idea of one side getting less attention. :(

turquoisemoon said...

Angelina, I love both sides, but tend to spend most of my time on the East side of the divide.

Ashling said...

Have never been...so thanks for sharing the beauty!

barbara judge said...

Interesting bit of info on the rattlesnakes. How nice that you are a hiker as you are able to see such beauty. And I am sure you are very fit except for that broken foot but that can happen anywhere. Nice post -- barbara

turquoisemoon said...

Ashling, RMNP is wonderful. I must admit that it certainly has changed since I started going there in the 60's...but then so have I.

Barbara,I've always been outdoorsy. As I get older, I see a real slowdown...humpf!!!