Sunday, February 15, 2015

First Art Show

I haven't kept my New Year's resolution to blog more. Why is that???
It's not because I'm cleaning house...hahaha
A friend and I also made the resolution that we were going to enter photography contests.
This is a huge step for me, for us. Yes, I sell my photos on Etsy and Fine Art American, but no one can see me. No one can critique my pieces, right in my face. No one can say (they may say it, but I don't hear it) that they don't like it. I also have a delete feature, so if they would post a negative comment, I can simply delete it. 
There is also the stigma of entering and not being accepted. My friend and I have established ground rules about this. We both submit work. If one is accepted and the other one isn't, the one that isn't accepted must attend the show in support of the one that was accepted. If asked, the one not accepted "lies" and responds that she didn't enter...hahaha We want to support each other, but without embarrassment for not being accepted. Yes...silly, but I still have ego at my advanced age. hahaha
There are rules to follow when entering a juried show. I'm not familiar with all the terms and the technology involved with entry submission. I'm learning as I go.
I had to come up with an Artist Statement, Artist Bio and Artist Resume.
How do you created this when the most important factor is that it's fun.
Yep...I figured the "fun" part was the truth and made that the start of my statement.
Then, after all that, we had to find shows...a search for "calls".
Our first venture was successful. We both were accepted...whew!!! 
The photo, below, was accepted. Cades Cove Church.
The next step was to get them matted and framed according to the instructions and then came the pricing???
I don't know how to price things for a show. For Etsy and FAA, it's easy. I just did a comparison of other photographers work. But for a show??? I looked at last years entries and again did a comparison and went from there.
 This one was also accepted. Boondocks.
It's different, I did quite a lot of post editing on this photo. I had a good feeling about this entry because it is different.
The one below was not accepted.
What's funny is that this is one of my personal favorites???
Everybody loves elephants don't they???
I showed horses for years and years and the judging is very subjective, so I thought this would be no big deal. I must admit that when showing a horse and you don't win, you can always blame the horse...hahaha!
The show is this-coming Friday night. 
All that's left is to figure out what to wear and do my nails...
ommm

15 comments:

Linda Starr said...

good for you, good luck with the show, love the mood of the first photo; I remembered I entered my first photo show and I also entered Gary's photo for him, he won first place and I got a second. Ha.

turquoisemoon said...

Linda, You are such an artist. I'm not surprised that you entered photography shows. I remember seeing some of your pics and think you've mentioned cards? that you've made. You're a true artist...

Manzanita said...

You are having toooo much fun with your photography. It's opening up new vistas for you. Isn't it great to learn new things. I am a fan of all of your pictures. I pass by a drive-in just like the one in your photo. It's a surprise to me that they remain open year around.... esp here, with our snow and cold.
Great job and good luck with your future entries.

Cathy Sherman said...

Now that we've been accepted in our first show, and I've seen the great work also in the show, I'm even more grateful to be a part of it.

Writing the artist statement and bio was hard. I was afraid mine sounds like a bunch of baloney! I'm glad there was a word limit. ;)

turquoisemoon said...

Manzanita, Yes! I'm having a lot of fun. Thanks for being a wonderful fan and friend, and thanks for sending luck.

Catherine, The artist statement and bio was hard. A 50 word limit made it even harder, I thought. It's fun to show with you and more important is a fun friendship that has gone way beyond photography.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Good for you -- taking your photography to the next level! Good luck to both you and your friend at the shows! And keep on entering!

turquoisemoon said...

Hi Debra!!! Thank you. I'm having so much fun in retirement. I'm keeping so busy with all this picture takin' stuff...hahaha

Out on the prairie said...

It is fun to see what others say. I have put a few in the fair, and had fun standing back and listening for any input. I never have tried etsey.

turquoisemoon said...

Steve, I'm looking forward to the evening. Maybe just the wine...hahaha

ellen abbott said...

oh I know all about entering juried shows. and art statements. here's the thing about being accepted or not. it's all about the juror and not about the quality of work. one juror would accept your entry, another may not accept the same entry.

Arkansas Patti said...

Way to go. I am impressed that you are taking a hobby to the next level. Most of us don't have the courage.
That elephant is amazing, they were crazy not to accept it.
Keep up the good work.

One Fly said...

You're not just laying around then TMoon. Good!

Now - the church picture is very good but think the rest of the story is in order in that, what did you price it at and did you sell it?? I hope so.

turquoisemoon said...

Ellen,I'm sure you're right. I guess I need to develop a little thicker skin. I was fine when showing horses, but this is so different. And that silly artist statement??? hahaha... I've read that the word "passion" is overused, but how else does one explain why they hike trails, get up before dawn, carry heavy equipment, etc without some sort of passion???

Patti, Thank you! I love that silly elephant. Well...I love elephants!!! So far I'm having fun. I love photography and we'll see if "showing" is fun??? If not, then I won't do it. At my age, I certainly don't need stress.

Fly, No..not laying around. You know that I've had a hard time "retiring" and this is really kind of "work" for me...hahaha
The church is in Cades Cove. The Smoky Mountain National Park. I found it interesting that the men entered the left door and the women on the right. hahaha..funny. The show is this coming Friday. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it sells. Wouldn't that be a hoot????

barbara judge said...

Your work is wonderful! Boondocks is my favorite and should sell right away. You have a great eye. Nice that you have a photographer friend to bounce off opinions of photos. Hope you write a post about the art show. -- barbara

turquoisemoon said...

Barbara, It's wonderful to have a photo buddy...and thanks!!! Fingers are crossed that I sell something.