Monday, December 8, 2014

Sure Wouldn't Fit in Your Pocket

Times sure have changed, haven't they???
My grandparents had one of these. My parents never did, but when we first got our rotary phone, we did have a party line for a short time. 
I was just thinking about Saturday night's when I was a kid.  I remember our first TV. I remember mom and dad watching Lawrence Welk.  I remember my first taste of potato chips and dip...French Onion...it was so good.  We would have a coke and have our chips and watch the Million Dollar Movie. The movie played on Saturday nights and then again on Sunday afternoons. I can't remember which of the three channels it was on.
(4, 5 and 9 )
I remember food. 
I remember my first taste of tacos and spaghetti.
OOoh and a banana split. We got those at a dairy store. Remember dairy stores???
3 scoops of ice cream. Vanilla, chocolate and strawberry ~ real ice cream, real whipping cream, fresh chopped nuts. They also added chocolate syrup, strawberry and pineapple on top of the ice cream. These were special treats. We didn't have access to them daily. There were no convenient Dairy Queens, Mc D's or Sonic to run to on a whim. It was entertainment just to take the drive to get there. BF recently told me how his mother drove the family to another town for the Grand Opening of the first McDonald's that was semi-near their farm. (hahaha it was about 30 miles)
Those were the days...
ommmm

9 comments:

Out on the prairie said...

Woolworths used to have you pop a balloon to see how much you paid for a banana split, 5-50 cents, with a tiny piece of paper in each balloon. I have a converted crank phone in my living room, only for incoming.

Arkansas Patti said...

I do remember the first McDonalds that opened in our town my senior year. We couldn't get over the price and the crisp french fries.

turquoisemoon said...

Steve, I've seen phones redone like that before. Very cool! We had a Woolworths downtown in KCMo. I remember sitting at their counter and getting a hamburger and coke. I was required to wear gloves when shopping with my mom downtown. Had to be proper, you know. hahaha

Patti, Ooh the fries!!! A Smacks opened before McD's and kind of took the umph out of their opening. But, once at McDonalds, we soon forgot all about Smacks. They didn't stay around too long.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

That's right -- in those days, a "treat" was literally that. Something you only got once in a blue moon. Not a daily staple in your diet, like today. No wonder there's an obesity problem.

turquoisemoon said...

Debra, oooh right!!! Ice cream was not a nightly deal, nor was even candy. They were occasional treats.

Manzanita said...

Those old phones are neat. No they won't fit in your pocket but they also aren't shoving the equivalet of a microwave in your head every time you used them, either.
I haven't sene you for a while. Have I just missed you or are you not posting?

turquoisemoon said...

Manzanita, I've been very busy last summer. Doing lots of photography and some traveling. I'm trying to get back in the habit of posting on somewhat of a regular basis. One thing I've noticed about the new phones is that people don't sit and visit, say while eating out with their kids...they're too busy looking at their phones.

ellen abbott said...

I remember when Jack-in-the-box first opened. it was our go-to dinner on the day we put up christmas decorations. and coke. my mother was somewhat addicted to coke back then. woe be to the kid who drank the last coke.

turquoisemoon said...

Ellen, I was only allowed to have cokes on Saturday nights. I'll bet my mom had more and hid it from me. Isn't that a hoot???