Monday, November 3, 2014

What Would Lao Tzu Say?

BF announced that we were going to S.D. for a few days. The total trip would be four days, and two of those would be spent driving. It takes about 12/13 hours to get to Mount Rushmore from where we live.
Only recently has BF decided to even take a few days off, so the trip was a surprise.
He was on a mission to see Mount Rushmore...so, there would be no stopping along the way. I love traveling across I-90 and find lots that I'd love to stop and check out. But nope...
I had been waiting for sunflowers to bloom in Kansas and when I saw these fields, I begged to stop~nope! 
 I snapped this pic out the window. 
 Would the truck even make it through this? Barely and both mirrors had to be brought in. And, I got the "look" for even suggesting such a side trip. This was taken on the Needles Highway in Custer State Park.
I snapped pictures as fast as I could and of everything and anything on this trip.
I don't even know the man (pictured below) but found this to be so funny. I tried to get BF to sit on one of these stools, but nope! So now, this wonderful stranger will forever be part of my vacation photos.
We found the buffalo herd in Custer State Park. BF immediately noticed that one of the cows was in labor. We watched for about an hour. In my mind (hahaha) I became a famous wildlife photographer. I hoped to captured the birth of a buffalo calf in the wild...Nope! she finally got up and moved over a hill for the actual birth.
And...I, being the famous wildlife photographer that I am, had my camera on auto-focus, while taking pics of this lil guy...yep! it focused on the grass! 
Another car shot...leaving early to get back home.
He wouldn't stop.
I did get him to stop at Wall Drugs. I carefully explained that it was more than just a drugstore and he could get some biscuits and gravy. I kindof stretched it into a cowboy mall...
This was fun, but not a photographer's dream.
A good photographer would have captured more and much better, even under the rushed circumstances. I must learn some techniques for capturing pics from a speeding car.
Practice~Practice~Practice

"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving."
~Lao Tzu

ommmm

16 comments:

Out on the prairie said...

I used to like to pick up a new straw hat when at Wall Drug. Worked in Custer for years on a project to make sure they were rotating the herd enough to not destroy native vegetation. There are Bighorns there also.

turquoisemoon said...

Hi Steve, I should have picked up a hat while at Wall Drug. Cool place, cool history. I have a cousin who married their great grandson. I think it was just one "great"??? That one blurry shot with the grass in focus is a bighorn lamb??? I thought??? I'm such a great wildlife photographer...NOT!

Manzanita said...

I'm sure that people with poor vision (like me) and with this tiny print will think this man is your bj. LOL
You are in the state of my birth. Terry from "my journey with Candida) is now visiting me. They were driving from PA and taking the upper route across the Dakotas. She said they would take a week and go sightseeing along the way. Ha They were here in a few days, as I told her, there's not much to see in the Dakotas. They did stop at Rushmore, too.

turquoisemoon said...

Manzanita, Oooh no...I think there is so much to see on I-90 crossing SD. Badlands, Corn Palace, Wall Drug, Rapid City, OOoh and there's that overlook by the river and that Indian Mission...sheesh!!! I love the Black Hills area and what's a trip without stopping in Sturgis. hahaha...you sound like me when someone comes to KC. I can't think of a thing to see or do...hahaha

One Fly said...

I'm not touching this!

turquoisemoon said...

Fly...Nope! hahaha

Arkansas Patti said...

I agree with Lao. We traveled a lot when I was a kid and it was always straight thru driving. Now days,when I see something I like, I stop. However your BF was in a time frame and had no choice.
Loved those chairs, especially the horses butt.

turquoisemoon said...

Patti, I thought those chairs were a hoot. I had a pretty good time but was so disappointed with my shots. I was so rushed and I didn't think about my shots...just started snapping. There were many times that if I had just taken a second to "focus" I could have done better. I really can't blame him. But, I must admit, I agree with what Lao Tzu said.

Plowing Through Life (Martha) said...

Hahaha! I love that stool. What a fun photo it makes.

And it's always fun to take shots of animals. Now I can claim that I know a famous wildlife photographer! :)

turquoisemoon said...

Martha, I find taking pics of wildlife challenging. One has to laugh when strange people are part of their vacation pics.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

When I'm doing long distance driving, I have to stop every 2 hours to stretch my legs. Or pee. Or both. Can't stand marathon non-stop drives.

turquoisemoon said...

Debra, Oooh he's stop for that, but didn't want me to even look at my camera. ugh!!!

Dee said...

Dear Turquoisemoon, I've never traveled with a husband--never had one!--and I've been blessed with women traveling companions who, like myself, are curious about history markers and nature and architecture. So I can see that this trip must have been somewhat frustrating for you. The one good thing is that it's given you another challenge with regard to photography. You are learning by leaps and bounds. Peace.

turquoisemoon said...

Dee, Oooh you bet! I'm learning to shoot out car windows and like it. hahaha And, I'll get to practice this technique next. Probably it will end up as another post.

ellen abbott said...

gorgeous sunset. I hate drive straight throughs but sometimes you gotta when pressed for time.

turquoisemoon said...

Ooh Ellen, I know...I hope I don't sound ungrateful for the trip because I sure was. I'm always up for a road trip, no matter how short or whatever. I do get upset with myself. Sometimes I just can't adapt easily...I like to take more time with my shots. I'm just not good enough to shoot so quickly...hahaha! Dang, I struggle with shots when I have time.