Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Perfect Color, Perfect Weather

Originally, I had planned to go to Colorado in August.
Something came up, so I rescheduled the trip. September was open...of course it was, I'm retired.
Because of my bloggie break, I'm going backwards rather than staying current.
The first morning my friend and I got up and headed toward RMNP...early
We had spent the night in Boulder rather than heading to the park in the late evening. We wanted the view...
Between Nederland and Estes we found that many others had the same idea.
 The weather was perfect...shorts and tees!
Then there was the color!!! Everywhere!!!
The first day, this scene was everywhere we looked. Just breathtaking!!!
We drove around taking pics of everything. Toward evening, we went to our perfect cabin that sits right on The Big Thompson.
We could hear the elk, smell the pine and flipped a coin to see who got the bedroom and who had to sleep on the sofa bed. The room was nice...hahaha I was the winner.
 During the night it rained. In fact it was thundering when we got up. I was so worried that I wouldn't get any pics.  We went to the Big Horn for breakfast. Love the Big Horn...It has that mountain feel to it. 
After a huge breakfast of biscuits and gravy,  we headed to the park. It was still raining and I was still worrying. We rounded one curve and this rainbow was right in front of us. Wow!!!
 Toward evening, the elk come out from the tree lines. You hear them bugle, then one (if you're lucky) will wonder out. There's not as many elk in the park as there used to be. There used to be over 3000 in the park, which the ranger explained, was too many. The herds have been thinned down to about 900. We found out that the cows with tags were on birth control...what???
Watching the elk used to be so exciting...now the biggest excitement was finding a parking spot. The park is loaded with retirees and we all have the same idea and looking for that perfect viewing spot.
This photo was taken right below Alberta Falls. Yep, I hiked this trail loaded with camera stuff, including a heavy tripod. It used to be easy hiking...but this ole flatlander was huffing and puffing by the time I got here...and this is considered an easy hike. It's funny about getting older. Hiking is not as easy. Climbing down to the water isn't as easy. I found that I really needed a hiking stick to kind of help me keep my balance...sheesh! Life sure does change, doesn't it???
ommmm

14 comments:

Out on the prairie said...

Fun area to explore, I have played a lot around there.

One Fly said...

You cover a lot of ground here TMoon. Glad you got to see some of your favorite places. I just came back from Casper. She's a different breed of cat up there and along the Front Range as it is here too. So many people and homo sapiens loves to do things en masse. Not this one. Road trips are soooo much fun when there are few time constraints.

Dee said...

Dear Turquoisemoon, yes, life does change--the body ages and is no longer flexible. But the mind changes also. And if we are blessed it changes into a more appreciative way of looking at life and recognizing beauty, which is what you did on that trip in September. Thank you for sharing such evocative photographs. Peace.

turquoisemoon said...

Steve, I've been going there since the early 70's. I love it there.

Fly, When I first started watching elk, there were hardly any people and tons of elk. Now, it's the reverse. It's a tad bit sad... I'm glad I was able to see rut when there were 3000 elk. It was the greatest show ever...

Dee, Photography has made the changes in my body more acceptable. I had to take more time while hiking, but it seems I "see" more.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Must be a helluva job getting the condom on the male elk, eh? LOL!

turquoisemoon said...

Debra, it's the cows, not the bulls. Ooh but how do they keep track of the days in one of those packets??? right??? hahaha

Arkansas Patti said...

What beautiful colors and such a grand rainbow.
Grass flavored pills?? Goodness.

turquoisemoon said...

Patti, That rainbow was incredible. The photo really doesn't do it justice. hahaha...grass flavored???

Linda Myers said...

Hiking when you're older is not as easy. You got that right!

turquoisemoon said...

Linda, Gosh...I used to hike all the time. I do walk in the evenings with my Lucy dog, but it's not anything like hiking in the mountains. I'm a flatlander for sure...

Cathy Sherman said...

Beautiful weather! It'll be great to re-visit these photos in the dead of winter! Thanks for sharing your beautiful work!

ellen abbott said...

you got some beautiful shots even if you had to jockey for position with all the old coots.

barbara judge said...

Nice Colo. photos. Interesting that so many retirees are out there roaming the roads. I know what you mean about aging and hiking -- A walking stick sure comes in handy. -- barbara

turquoisemoon said...

Cathy, I'll be honest, I'd love to go there again in the dead of winter.

Ellen, hahaha...I am an old coot too!!

Barbara, I love to see the retirees having fun and getting out of their rocking chairs. It's good for us. Yep...I'll never forget my hiking stick again!