Sunday, October 19, 2014

Arboretum

Photo Controversy at the Arboretum
Commercial photographers are required to pay $25 per hour or $400 per year.
At first they said their definition of a commercial photographer was anyone using a tripod???
 Are you kidding me?
Now they use the wording below
"allows photography/film
portrait photography, commercial photography and all filming"
I believe they're talking about wedding parties, senior pics and stuff like that.
I went there one time this year with some photography friends...I took their picture.
Wonder if I was in violation of some rule???
I am in process of learning all my "rights" as a photographer. I want to know the rules.
I went to a photography lecture Friday morning and his advise was,
"It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission."
ommmm...


10 comments:

Linda Starr said...

I love going to arboretums, amen to the asking for forgiveness.

One Fly said...

DO NOT ASK

Then someone has to think and then the problems start.

turquoisemoon said...

Linda, I love going to arboretums too. That advise is now my mantra...

Fly, This city is money hungry. I used to own a Southwest store in the downtown. Right after 9-11, everyone was hanging the American Flag outside their stores. The city came around and asked if we had applied for the special permit??? huh???

Out on the prairie said...

Never heard having to pay to shoot.

Manzanita said...

I do believe that was sound advice. It does seem that our sphere of picture taking is becomng less and less

turquoisemoon said...

Steve, Many of the local parks have added this. I won't pay to shoot!!! I hope state and national parks don't start this.

Manzanita, I do like that advice, however, I had always heard that was the way husbands think...hahaha!

ellen abbott said...

the arboretum charges people to take pictures?! that's just wrong.

turquoisemoon said...

Ellen, Yep, but I think the rules were designed to limit wedding, graduation, etc type shooting. I'm still confused because it's public property??? I'm not shooting weddings, etc, but still feel that it's wrong to charge on public property.

Cathy Sherman said...

Didn't we feel like outlaws when we took each other photos at the arboretum that day!? If they are going to charge, they should have promised us no mosquitoes. I can understand that they need to limit the hordes of photographers who take over large areas of parks to photograph clients for money. I went to a park, where there were seven groups being photographed by professional photographers. I got some dirty looks when I walked on the path into a shot, but it was like running a gauntlet from one photo shoot to the next. I agve up on tkaing my own photos of fall foliage. When we photograph wildlife and flowers, we try to keep a low profile. However, in Colorado, I was in a group of about 50 photographers trying to get photos of bighorn sheep. More photographers than sheep!

turquoisemoon said...

Cathy, I forgot about all the mosquitoes. They were awful.