Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Stagecoach Stop

The Mahaffie Stagecoach Stop and Farm Historic Site, locally known as the Mahaffie farmstead, is located in Olathe, Kansas. The house was originally a stop along the Oregon and California Trails, which originated in nearby Westport, Missouri. The house's heyday came with large numbers of westbound travelers of the 1860s.
The house has now been converted into a museum and gift shop. It is situated on almost 40 acres of land. It frequently hosts American Civil War reenactments, with a focus on events connected to Bleeding Kansas and bushwhackers. There is also an in-house blacksmith and other various era-specific artisans.
The original farm was founded by James Beatty Mahaffie and his wife Lucinda, in 1858. They ran it until 1870 and stayed on the farm until 1886. The existing house was completed by Mahaffie in 1865. It includes two foot thick limestone blocks quarried from the farm itself.
This is not too far from my house.
 We went for a free event...Love Free!!!
 We've come a long way.
They would feed the travelers in the basement. It was very hot and muggy when we went there, however the basement was extremely cool and comfortable.
No dishwashers.
I always think I could live back in those days, till I think of giving up my conveniences.
Hairdryer, dishwasher, refrigerator, vacuum, cars, grocery stores, internet...
Baby Lamb...so sweet...NOT!
Do not be fooled. Remember my blog about the lamb that BF brought home??? How it ate my mother's rocking chair? Yes, my mother is deceased and that chair meant a lot to me!!! How the lamb almost became stew???? not really...
Blame
Most people like to blame life for all that happens to them as if they had no part in it. The sage accepts what life brings as well the responsibility for the consequences of one's choices. - Lao Fzu

I could have put the precious chair up...I knew the lamb was growing and climbing and chewing on stuff.
ommmmmm

13 comments:

Dee said...

Dear Turquoisemoon, every time I read one of your posting about places and things to see in the KC metro area and beyond into Kansas and Missouri, I vow I'll go and see this or that. But this one really does make me think that this summer--probably in August when I've returned from my Utah vacation, I'll go to Olathe and visit this site. Thank you for always introducing me to new possibilities! Peace.

turquoisemoon said...

Dee, Be sure to check their events calendar. Much more fun when they've got something going on. While you're in Olathe, you might want to do the Arboretum or Deanna Rose Farm.

Out on the prairie said...

Free is always attractive. Lots going on in Olathe it sounds like.

Carolyn said...

yes… your fault the little ol cute thing ate your chair… awww but what a shame!

I had a puppy once who chewed and mangled a brand new pair of EXPENSIVE pumps!

I got his little neck and feigned strangling him…. made me feel better but… I should have closed the closet door better?! humph

turquoisemoon said...

Steve, I like doing free things, but all the free stuff here in the KC area is also very crowded.

Carolyn, Yes, I should have put the chair up, and a totem pole, and a cute little wooden flower stand and a few other things...I learned a lesson. Sheesh! Sometimes I hate all the lessons I'm learning. hahaha

One Fly said...

Good stuff TMoon. I like the stagecoach picture the most.

turquoisemoon said...

Fly, Thanks! It was in a barn and really hard to photograph. It was pretty cool though.

Plowing Through Life (Martha) said...

My goodness but I love these photos! They are spectacular. And who knew that a little itsy bitsy lamb can cause so much damage! LOL...

turquoisemoon said...

Martha, Thank you! Yes...that sweet little lamb almost destroyed my deck (which is covered and screened in) and everything on it.

Cathy Sherman said...

Thanks for posting these great and interesting photos, Lynn. I visited this farm with my mother and daughter a couple of years ago and need to visit again. It was hot, so it wasn't too crowded.

We arrived just before the end of a Civil War re-enactment -- Well, actually it was one guy in uniform firing a cannon. As usual at a farm, I spent too much time trying to photograph rooster crowing, so I can't crow about my great photos, because I didn't get many -- any?

turquoisemoon said...

Cathy, You and your chicken pics! hahaha

barbara cecelia said...

oh oh -- do you still have the lamb? --- barbara

turquoisemoon said...

Barbara, No! He sold all of them. He raises cattle and got talked into the sheep by his son. He won't do that again...