Wednesday, May 28, 2014

The Perfect Photo Shoot ~ Not

 Some days, when I go out trying to get some pics, nothing goes right...why is that?
Does this ever happen to you?
This car show was supposed to be a great shoot...at least in my mind.
Headed to Holton, Ks for an old time car show. 
Rain. Cloudy. Cars crowded together. People getting in my shot. Backgrounds awful. 
I don't think there's even one I can photoshop to make it a decent pic.
I took a different way home.  I looked everywhere for something exciting to shoot.
I think it was me??? But look at those clouds behind this old school...ready to rain any time.
This is the Buck Creek School, built in 1878. This was just east of Perry Lake. 
 It was getting late in the afternoon and I knew I still didn't have anything to show for an entire day of photography.
I finally decided that the day was a blog post day rather than a possible artsy day.
 I remembered that this teepee was on the road I was on and made it my last stop.
"The Tee Pee" is a relic from an earlier time, when Indians were evidently giants who built their homes to last. The main teepee building design was actually patented by its creator, Frank W. McDonald, in 1930, so the structure likely went up in the late 1920s, well ahead of later Wigwam Villages. It's 50-feet tall, 33-ft. in diameter, and was the centerpiece of a US 40 roadside complex "Indian Village" that included a gas station, restaurant and motor court of smaller teepee cabins.
The 14 teepee cabins are long demolished. Today what remains is a one-floor building with a teepee on either end, and the main teepee. The pole rigged to a sail-like flange gracing the original design is also gone. Marks on the side of this age-stained structure indicate the high water marks from Kansas River floods in 1951 and 1935.
Some days just don't go as planned, but here's the deal...
Success
If we nurse our plans through good times and bad, our plans will eventually succeed. Then again, like the sage, we may decide at some point that another plan is the better option. - Lao Fzu
Changing my plan...created success and happiness.
ommmm

16 comments:

B. Rogers, Living in Black Mountain said...

I've been posting imperfect photos all over the place...yep, our expectations decide for us what's acceptable or not. I remember seeing the tee pee motels...there must have been lots of them scattered around at one point. Flood marks are incredible! Our poor rivers are now just channels between dikes with the goal of avoiding floods, and lots of negative repercussions. I did enjoy your efforts on one day's photos. Barb

turquoisemoon said...

Even my good pics are imperfect. After looking at so many beautiful pieces of art/photography, I feel I've got to up the ante. We have reservoirs around here. Lakes for holding water. I remember those tee pee motels and also souvenir Indian bracelets. Used to have lots of them. Now they're collector's item.

Out on the prairie said...

Some days without light just need adjustment and can make good closeups with that filtered light.

turquoisemoon said...

Steve, True. The rain just didn't do anything for the car show. I roamed for hours trying to get something going. I took closeups of dice, interiors, headlight/tail lights. I'm sure I'd be embarrassed by what a "good" photographer could have found and captured. humpf! But, I did salvage the day by proclaiming it a "blog photo day".

barbara cecelia said...

I have had so many planned days that started off as a photo finding day. After a time on the road and coming up empty-handed I suddenly thought to change my direction. The directional change opened up new horizons of photo material. Funny how one can be ready to give up on the planned quest for material and suddenly the mind shifts and the sun shines down on you. I feel it is telling us not to over plan. Good post. -- barbara

One Fly said...

Car shows are tough. Nothing you did wrong. I look for ornaments,grills,dashes that sort of thing.

Sometimes like you will go looking for a picture and sometimes they just aren't there and others they come to you left and right.

I know for a fact they're just not many around here.

Arkansas Patti said...

Well I enjoyed it, especially the Tee Pee. I would have killed to stay in one as a kid. Wonder what happened to the idea.

turquoisemoon said...

Barbara,I know...this isn't the first time this has happened. I now have plan B...pics for blog posts. Your photos are always just beautiful. I'm glad to know others some time come up empty handed too.

Fly, I tried to do ornaments and stuff, but remember it was raining too. There's another one coming up on the 6th...if it doesn't rain, I'm going to try again.

Patti, Isn't that the coolest. I remember them and always wanted to stay in one too. I always collected Indian jewelry and those little Indian dolls. Mom must have tossed them. I don't have any idea what may have happened to them. I have one of those old Highway Bracelets. Silver Arrow...they're now collector pieces.

Plowing Through Life (Martha) said...

Oh yes, I have many days like this. And I know that it's more often than not me. The problem begins when I have specific pictures in mind, and if things don't work out, I get a little frustrated, which pretty much squashes my creativity. Then I take a deep breath, relax, accept that today's shoot is not going to be as planned, and just enjoy being out and about. When I reach that state, I start to notice things again. Not what I had planned, but certainly worth photographing. Does any of this sound familiar to you? LOL... Chances are you know exactly what I mean.

turquoisemoon said...

Martha, Absolutely!!! and that's what happened. I was going to get some wonderful old cars and it just didn't happen. I ended up finally just looking for blog pics. Ended up having a nice day...just not the one that was planned.

Hindustanka said...

If things went only the way we want them to or planned life will be boring :)
But yea, sometimes when you intend on doing certain things and the circumstances just refuse to fall into that, it can even annoy and disappoint.
Have a great day!
The snaps are nevertheless interesting :)

turquoisemoon said...

Hindustanka, Annoy...yes, that is the perfect word. I was annoyed and frustrated.

ellen abbott said...

Some days you have to give up your expectations or desires. But you know that.

turquoisemoon said...

Ellen, Yep and this was one of those days.

CraveCute said...

Haha! I know how you feel! I was using my smart phone and some of my pictures were so blurry that I couldn't use them. Some days it happens! I think I'd had too much coffee!

turquoisemoon said...

CraveCute, hahaha...I'm thinkin I could have needed more coffee or...wine!