Friday, May 9, 2014

Some Strange Stuff on Vacation

My computers been down, so sorry if I missed your posts.
Anyway, here's some of the strange stuff we saw on vacation.
Below are some steps that were left by a tornado in Greensburg, Ks.
This was the cutest little town before a huge tornado hit it. The town was almost completely destroyed. Also all the trees are either gone or just bare.
The tiny town of Mullinville, Kansas, is the location of this property that is well known for its extensive home-made yard sculpture. The owner/artist is M. T. Liggett, who produces the sculpture in his barn, and since his birth in this tiny town in 1930, he has created at least a hundred pieces, which are on public display.

Liggett uses cast-off items for his artwork, and a quick drive past his yard will show everything from repurposed toilets to roadsides, parts off of machinery and cars and also wood and tin items. It would easilty take a full 30 minutes (if not more) to look at all the objects here!
Below is a Route 54 diner...obviously they're trying to catch up with all the Route 66 hoopla.
It didn't work. They're out of business.
This fella guards a lonely spot in Hwy 54 someplace in West Texas.
Hooker Inn???
Now who in they're right mind would name a motel "The Hooker Inn"?
The tree below, in Cerrillos, NM., was used as the hangin tree in the movie Young Guns.
hmmmm...so just what's out there that's so scenic???
Nothing ~ but as you can see, they're proud of it.
This is at Cerrillos, NM. and it always cracks me up when I see this sign.
Camel Rock...oooh Now you know what day it is...hahaha
This person was selling worms at the farmers market in Santa Fe????
hmmmmm?????
At Chimayo, NM. people adorn/petition even the chain link fence for miraculous healings.
Amazing junk art along the drive to Taos via the Rio Grande drive.
This motorcycle was part of a shrine in a graveyard on the way toTruchas, NM
NO HORSES allowed here.
This is in Cimarron, NM
Another Cimarron site...This was formerly a bordello and from what I read, it was quite famous in it's day.
Hot and Cold water towers ~ this was in Canton, Kansas.
This teepee is the last one. It's at an RV park. OOoh and the restrooms were marked as Tee Pee~Pee Pee  Again this was in Cimarron, NM.
I need to spend more time in Cimarron. It's a hoot and has tons of history.
This was the best photo vacation I've ever taken.
Besides the people, the murals (previous two posts) and now some of the strangest of sights, I got some great shots (at least great for me).  I've added well over 40 photos to my Fine Arts America store and still have more to add. I have just started adding some to my Etsy store.
 Going on a trip with a photo buddy is the best...
We stopped everywhere...I'm still jealous of a sign she captured that I missed...I was driving and it was just a quicky out of the window. Anyway it was taken on Hwy 68 in NM and there were quite of few of them. They were cattle crossing signs and someone had put UFO stickers on all of them. It appears that cattle have been disappearing...and some think that UFOs are responsible...
What do you think???
ommmm


18 comments:

Plowing Through Life (Martha) said...

Amazing photo shoot. Where does one begin somewhere like this? At Hooker Inn? LOL... Very interesting artwork. A unique way to recycle items. Does he sell any of it? That motorcycle gave me chills. There's probably a tragic story there.

A bordello, of all things! Now there's something you don't run across very often.

And I love that teepee!

One Fly said...

I know the answer to -

Now who in their right mind would name a motel "The Hooker Inn"?

A guy who is in the hooker business - yup that's it. Or was he?

Great post and photos. You are seeing more good picture all the time. That's because you're not working like before. Yup that's it.

These places are not far away from here and I will visit your fun little town to see as well.

You have to be careful this time of year through June for the noseeum's. They'll rip you apart and you won't know it till two days later.

Rubye Jack said...

I've never heard of Cimmaron and now I can see why. JK
Maybe the Hooker Inn was also a bordello of sorts and they had no shame in advertising it as such. :)
Great pictures!

turquoisemoon said...

Martha, We took all sorts of pics and it was just fun. I knew some of them would become posts after seeing them. Some really turned out good, at least I though so. Others??? Well that's what the delete button is for.

Fly...hahaha!!! Hooker Inn??? is that funny or what? We drove 54 Hwy to Tucumcari, then went to Albuquerque, then took the Turquoise Trail to Madrid, Cerrillos and Santa Fe. From Santa Fe we went to Chimayo, and drove around in that area for awhile. Then we followed the Rio Grande on in to Taos and out thru Cimarron. Got some great old car pics and lots of route 66 pics.

Rubye Jack...Cimmaron was,for sure, NOT a destination...hahaha

Linda Starr said...

love the camel rock and never heard of Cimmaron, I must try to go there next time I'm out west, sad what the tornados can do. good to see so much humor in the world

turquoisemoon said...

Linda, A visit to Cimarron will take you about 10/20 minutes. hahaha

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Great shots -- so much quirky stuff! My fave is the "scenic view" LOL!

turquoisemoon said...

Debra, hahaha...that's been a favorite of mine for several years. The sign is funny enough, but all those spotting scopes beside it just crack me up.

ellen abbott said...

I love all the folk 'outsider' art. And small towns are great, the smaller the greater or rather the kookier.

turquoisemoon said...

Oh Ellen you are so right. I live in the burbs of KC. We have codes...so nothing kookie is allowed. I swear, I get so sick of beige houses.

Carolyn said...

fun post! scenic view ... love those kind of signs .... that kind? hmmm

I almost had a wreck ... somewhere around Big Bend ... going in or coming out ... there was nothing but once had been something places ... a sign remained that was free standing ... aw jeeeeez I wish I could find that but then I couldn't post it here in comments anyway... gotta find that... big hair! sign hilarious

hah! found it ... along with my smart phone's smart mouth ... fun reading stuff again! that's why we blog, huh?

http://amigoingsomeplace.blogspot.com/2012/11/big-bend-national-park-texas.html

turquoisemoon said...

Carolyn, I think things like that are so funny. The Hooker Inn is a hoot too! I saw that and thought, "what the...????"

Out on the prairie said...

Fun finds, you must have had a great vacation

turquoisemoon said...

Steve, It was great! Went with a photo pal & between the two of us, I think we shot everything.

Cathy Sherman said...

Yes, I remember how amazed I was to see "The Hooker Inn," until I realized that we were in Hooker, Oklahoma. But still... And then the school team is called the Hooker Horny Toads. So the town of Hooker is having fun with the joke.

turquoisemoon said...

Catherine, I completely forgot about the team being the Hooker Horny Toads...hahaha

Ladydy5 aka: Diane Yates said...

Just stumbled upon your blog and loved the photos, all of them were like an artist painting one after another.

turquoisemoon said...

Thank you Diane...welcome!