Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Coming Home After Vacation

San Francisco de Asis in Taos, NM
Beautiful religious fortress built in the late 1700's.
A trip to Taos is incomplete if you don't visit this site. I go there every time.
 Statues of the Holy Family at San Francisco de Asis (also called Ranchos Church).
I love the contrast between the statues and the adobe.
 Weathered blue doors at Sangre de Cristo Chapel.
I can't imagine weathered doors in the KC area...or old wooden benches outside a church.
This sight simply wouldn't be tolerated around here. New doors with proper locks would be installed and cold iron benches would be placed, a proper distance from the doors.
Vigil lights. Prayers, in plain sight, for miracles.
I love KC. It's big, modern, fairly safe, BBQ/Restaurants, great schools, art, entertainment, good roads, neat and orderly neighborhoods and much more.
But sometimes, I feel that something has been lost...
ommmm

9 comments:

Dee said...

Dear Turquoisemoon, I agree with you. In so many places and so many hearts, we have set aside the eternal to embrace that which is new as if to be new were to be better for us in some way. Peace.

turquoisemoon said...

Dee, We have some places around here, but even so...they're made new looking. An example is Shawnee Old Town or Mahaffie Farmstead. Old churches are demolished to make room for new or have been so modernized that they no longer retain that rustic charm. I understand this, but do miss seeing some old time charm...

Teresa Evangeline said...

Oh, man, you've been having fun without me ... :) love that church ... birds on top ... doves?

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Love the old weathered wood on the benches!

turquoisemoon said...

Teresa, I love going to NM. The sights and the food...yummy. I try to go there every other year in spring. I think they were doves. I was hoping I'd catch them when they all flew at one time. I thought that would have made a cool pic. I just wasn't fast enough with my camera.

Debra, I loved that church. I've seen it before but never stopped. This was a photo trip, so stopping was a priority.

Out on the prairie said...

Hope you lit a candle

turquoisemoon said...

Steve, No, I didn't. I do love them though...

Plowing Through Life (Martha) said...

Spectacular fortress! And I love those weathered doors. Well, you know how much I love weathered anything...people, too...LOL... :)

turquoisemoon said...

Martha, That church is probably the most photographed church in the United States. It was pretty well made famous by Georgia O'Keeffe and Ansel Adams. I loved "weathered" too!!!