Friday, May 23, 2014

2014 Memorial Day Weekend

This  years photos of Fort Leavenworth cemetery.
Fort Leavenworth National Cemetery, established in 1862 on the grounds of the Fort Leavenworth Military Reservation, is one of the oldest national cemeteries.  The cemetery retains many of its historic features including portions of the stone perimeter wall dating to 1869, the superintendent’s lodge from 1905, and several private markers to great military leaders such as Brigadier General Henry Leavenworth—the fort’s namesake
 Last year they started a grass restoration project.
The grass was much more beautiful this year.
 Sometimes I look at just how beautiful it is...then remember what it symbolizes.
 The loss of a son or daughter. The loss of a friend, father, brother, husband, uncle, cousin, schoolmate.
I watched as people, with their flowers, looked for their loved ones marker.
 So many....
I spotted WWI, WWII, Korean, Vietnam, Spanish American, Persian Gulf.
These are the one I spotted. I didn't see any Civil War ones??
ommmm

11 comments:

Cathy Sherman said...

My father-in-law is buried at Fort Leavenworth. Thanks for posting these beautiful and touching photographs.

One Fly said...

All that and more TMoon.

Cemetery's - my nightmare that is if I had to mow one and then weed whip.

turquoisemoon said...

Cathy, It's beautiful there. We must go there and find you father-in-law's marker.

Fly, Ft Leavenworth is simply breathtaking. Not a weed in sight.

Out on the prairie said...

My great grandparents are there. my mom grew up in Lansing and lots of kin in Leavenworth. Decorated there a lot.

turquoisemoon said...

Steve, I almost think that everyone who lives or was raised in the mid west has somebody there. My stepfather is there.

Arkansas Patti said...

When you see all those stones, the weight of war really weighs one down. Young men denied the chance to become old men. We need to remember their price and to thank those that can still hear us.

turquoisemoon said...

Patti, Isn't it sad??? just sad? I don't understand the need for war at all...till I get on facebook.

Plowing Through Life (Martha) said...

Those are beautiful photos, but very heartbreaking. All those stones...all those lost lives.

turquoisemoon said...

Martha, It was so beautiful! and sad.

barbara cecelia said...

I have a difficult time with the idea of war and the senseless killing that results. So many deaths -- so sad. -- barbara

turquoisemoon said...

Barbara, I do too. The cemetery is beautiful and one almost forgets till you look closely at one of the stones. I'm thinking that Memorial day should be a day of reflection rather than picnics and fun. I'm sure I'm a minority... I noticed all the campers and boats heading out for a 3 day weekend of fun, so they might disagree...but then it's those lost lives that provide us the safety and freedom for fun...sheesh...what a world !