Monday, March 17, 2014

BBQ in KC

  Some of you may argue...but this is the truth.
If you want some really good BBQ...in fact the best BBQ...
You must come to KC.
A Kansas City icon 
Kansas City barbecue refers to the specific style of slow smoked meat that evolved from the pit of Henry Perry in the early 1900s in Kansas City, Missouri. Kansas City barbecue is slow smoked over a variety of woods and then covered with a thick tomato- and molasses-based sauce.
The Kansas City metropolitan area is renowned for barbecue. Kansas City, Missouri, has more than 100 barbecue restaurants. The area is home to several large, well attended barbecue cooking contests, the two most notable being in nearby Lenexa, Kansas and at the American Royal.
Gates Bar-B-Q is a Kansas City original family restaurant that started in 1946.(Been around longer than me.)  It has grown from a single store front at 19th & Vine to a family of six up-to-date restaurants throughout the Kansas City Metropolitan Area. The same neighborhood that saw the rise of the famous Henry Perry restaurant as well as the 18th & Vine Jazz District. Gates was founded by George and Arzelia Gates, their three children (Winnifred, Gwendolyn and Ollie), and the cook, Arthur Pinkard. Pinkard had been a cook for Perry.
Gates is a long time favorite of mine, but now there's a few others that come to mind.
But Gates....yummy and consistently good. Not afraid to recommend this place.
ommmm

11 comments:

Out on the prairie said...

I could eat it for all 3 meals somedays. Need to come down for a good fix.

turquoisemoon said...

Steve, Kansas City is home to some of the best BBQ around. My new favorite is Oklahoma Joes...future post!

Rubye Jack said...

There is BBQ and then there is BBQ. Most I don't like, but occasionally I stumble on to something that is just right and it sounds like this might be the place.

Plowing Through Life (Martha) said...

Okay, I'm on my way! LOL... I'll be preparing supper soon, and this post made me hungry! If I'm ever in the area, I'll have to check some BBQ places out.

turquoisemoon said...

Rubye...KC BBQ is not greasy or loaded with sauces. You get meat...yummy meat!!! Tender, fall off the bones meat...

Martha, If you ever get to KC I'll take you to some. KC BBQ is the best. It's all in the meat...

One Fly said...

I agree and now I'm hungry.

turquoisemoon said...

Fly...It's so good. I've tried BBQ as I've traveled around and none compares.

E. Angelina said...

sounds yummy, even if I am vegetarian. :)

turquoisemoon said...

E...Cover your ears!!! and don't look!!! hahaha Good for you! Wish I could be...

Dee said...

Dear Turquoisemoon, as a vegetarian for 33 years, I last tasted barbequed ribs so long ago that I have little memory of just how they taste. But yesterday I was visiting with a great-niece of mine who is getting married in a causal summer wedding at which the meal will be a summer feast of barbecued ribs, potato salad, slaw, and baked beans. A real Missouri meal. Peace.

turquoisemoon said...

Dee, I wish I could be a vegetarian, but I love BBQ and ooh an occasional steak!!! hahaha! Anyway good for you. Enjoy the potato salad and slaw at the wedding. I'm sure the baked beans will have meat in them.