Friday, December 20, 2013

A Gift for a Cook in Waiting

 I needed a gift for my Granddaughter.
She's 13 and loves sushi and wants to learn how to make it.
I knew where to find some sushi stuff...
Pryde's in Westport.
I think Pryde's has everything there is for cooking anything.
 Westport, Kansas City's original entertainment district, boasts a rich history as the oldest established community in Kansas City. More than 150 years ago, Westport marked the passage into the Western Frontier and set the foundation for what it is today; a thriving shopping and entertainment district.
Two floors, loaded from floor to ceiling of cooking stuff. Anything one would need.
Anything for dining or entertaining.
Glassware, Dinnerware, Fiesta ware...lots of color everywhere in the store.
Need place-mats, hot-pads, towels???
Aprons and cookbook and crocheted dish rags?
If they don't have it...you probably don't need it!
Can you guess what their chandeliers are made of???
Westport is always fun. Today, the temperature was in the mid-teens, so I didn't linger outdoors.
I've been working quite a bit, so I haven't been blogging...
I have missed you all and think about you but tend to wanna just hop into bed after a long day on my feet.
I'll try to get caught up on my reading...but, I say this on my day off. We'll see if I keep this promise when I go back to work again...hahaha and...ommm


10 comments:

Out on the prairie said...

A fun store, I get in and almost forget what I started out to get. I have seen a few classes for sushi.

turquoisemoon said...

Steve, I normally make my purchase then make a second one because I see something else I needed. Fun places.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

What a store! I hope she enjoys her sushi equipment!

Dee said...

Dear Turquoisemoon, I need to go to that store! As a teenager I worked in a store just up the block from Westport's main street. I worked on Broadway at a store that repaired Bendix washers.

I so enjoy cooking and baking and I'd never heard of Pryde's. But I do know the history of Westport because it reflects the history of Independence in that both were "jumping off" spots to the West.

Take care of yourself. Blogging is always there when you feel equal to it. This is a season to be at peace. And so I wish you Peace.

One Fly said...

I don't realize till I get into a place like this that I begin to think I need things.

Manzanita said...

OMG I'd just be overwhelmed and never find anything. But if I were a cook, I suppose I'd know what I wanted... but I'm not a cook and never know what any of those tools are for.

turquoisemoon said...

Debra, It's fun to go there. I found her 2 recipe books, brand new at the Half Price Bookstore. I hope she learns and enjoys.

Dee,Westport isn't that far from Independence. You should go there. It's got anything one might ever need for cooking. I'd wait till spring... Also, Westport has a wonderful art festival right before the Plaza one... Great art and much more reasonably priced.

Fly, Oooh I understand completely. I ended up buying myself some salad tongs. hahaha

Manzanita, It's really organized and simply a fun place to shop. I had never seen any crocheted wash rags there before. I loved those.

Carolyn said...

What a neat place... I lived and worked in Kansas City for a short time in the early 70's or was it late 70's.. lol...

I remember Christmas there ... what was the name of the big ol Mall then ... hmmm.. well? they decorated it beautifully ... downtown was beautiful also... do not recall that store.

She's 13??? and loves sushi? whoa

turquoisemoon said...

Carolyn...yes...13 going on 25...hahaha!!!

Randy said...

I love Fiestaware!