Friday, November 8, 2013

Heading Toward Moran

I didn't really plan this roadtrip, it just happened.
BF had ordered some meat and the meat locker is in Moran.
I'd really like to become a vegan, but it's difficult, really difficult, when you're BF raises cattle...
Anyway, this was a great road trip. Don't you just love getting out on the road and driving???
I almost missed this cabin, and it made me wonder how many other sights I have missed because there's no signs.
Gerth Cabin in Greeley, Ks. Built in 1856.
Slaves who escaped their captors were known to have hidden beneath this cabin.
I took this pic from an angle to try to show how small this house is. I'm always amazed by the size of these small homes. I wrote another post awhile back, and stated that these old homes were about the size of today's closets. When I was little, I was raised in a house that had only one closet. It was in the hallway...sheesh...imagine that!!! Life has certainly changed, hasn't it.
Both of these pics were taken near the town of Mildred, Ks.
Again s m a l l....
I was amazed at the distance between where the gas tanks had been located and the door to the station.
Cars certainly couldn't have been very wide.
Near another vacated service station was this ole International truck.
What!!??? no sleeping quarters???
I loved this ole truck. I loved all the yellow surrounding it. 
Because of these little trips, I get out into the Kansas countryside.
It would be fun to travel the world, but I can't...and that's OK.
ommmm

13 comments:

Ashling said...

Such perfect discoveries on a Fall day....love the yellow truck with the yellow surrounding it. Thanks for sharing!

Arkansas Patti said...

Ah--- you mean houses are supposed to have more than one closet?? I knew I should have looked at more homes before buying this one:)
Raising calves got me off of red meat. All I could see was their long eyelashes and I would pass the meat counter. Thank goodness turkeys don't have eyelashes.

turquoisemoon said...

Ashling, Thank you...it was a great find!!!

Patti, Ooh around here, some of the houses have bathrooms and closets the size of that home. My son is a trim carpenter and the houses he builds are huge. Very huge! My house, on the other hand, is extremely modest. No walk ins here...hahaha!!! I'm upset about my red meat consumption. I really want to give it up...now I'll be thinking about/and seeing eyelashes. Sheesh!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

What a great old truck!

turquoisemoon said...

Debra, Ooh I thought it was too! I loved all the yellow around it. I love "photo finds"...

Carolyn said...

Always wonder what happened to the people ... the home people and the abandoned truck/car people...

they die? kids didn't want this stuff? didn't want to sell it? town didn't want to preserve it.

soooo just abandoned stuff... pretty abandoned stuff though ;)

turquoisemoon said...

Carolyn, Ooh me too!!! Everything has a story and my imagination goes wild...

Out on the prairie said...

This is what calls me every day. Headed out as soon as my daughter wakes, I hoped to have made enough noise.LOL

turquoisemoon said...

Steve, Oooh I hear ya! They asked me, at work, if I could put in more hours because of the holidays and help them out...Silly me! I told them yes. I really just wanna head out and take pics.

FOLKWAYS NOTEBOOK said...

Rural ghosts -- great shots of our past culture. That yellow truck sure is handsome! -- barbara

turquoisemoon said...

Barbara, Love past culture...and the yellow truck was a fun find.

CraveCute said...

Wow, you've captured such a great piece of history here. Great story behind the cabin.

turquoisemoon said...

Thank you CC...