Thursday, September 12, 2013

Water in the Mountains

"Sit by a river.  Find peace and meaning in the rhythm of the lifeblood of the Earth." — Anonymous 
*****UPDATE***** 
THIS MORNING, AFTER I POSTED THIS...THE BIG THOMPSON IS FLOODING AND OUT OF IT'S BANKS...

This is the Big Thompson.
Our porch was just a few feet from this...
Did my morning meditations here and then sipped on coffee.
I wanted to memorize this sound. 
Below is the Fall River. My favorite river.
For years, we camped near it.
I fell asleep to it's sounds of the water going over the rocks.
Chasm Falls
The only way to get to Chasm Falls is on the Fall River Road. One-way, eleven miles of switchbacks and no side rails. It winds it's way up the mountains and ends up at the Alpine Visitor Center.
11,796 feet above sea level...
There were some very bad ruts in this single lane, dirt/gravel road this year...must admit, it was kind of scary in some places.
 Sprague Lake.
Not as pretty as last year. That beetle infestation has taken a tole on this easy 1 mile hike.
This is the Colorado.
Fun hike...
I must admit here that the Lulu City Trail is b o r i n g...and not much of anything is at the end of it.
Anyway, this photo was taken on the Grand Lake side. Oooh and those clouds are an example of summer storms that pop up almost every afternoon.
Saint Vrain (creek/river)
 Copeland Falls
This is a very short hike and beautiful...if you keep going there is Calypso Cascades, Ouzel Falls then on to the lakes. I've done this hike several times...it's my favorite! There's are some huge boulders on this trail...perfect for sitting and meditating...perfect!!!!
 A tad bit more of the St Vrain near the Wild Basin trail head.

 Nymph Lake.
An easy hike...only about a mile round trip.
There are trails/hikes for everyone. Easy to really difficult.
Back in the early 70's I bought a tee shirt with several hikes listed on the front of it. It came with a pen, so you could mark off the different hikes as you completed them. That was the start of my hiking days. All the hikes on the tee were marked off...as well as most of the hikes in the park.Obviously, I became obsessed with hiking...hahaha... But you know,  when you take one of these trails, there's always something very cool at the end of them...a lake, a falls, an amazing view...always something. (except Lulu City) hahaha
ommmm

14 comments:

Out on the prairie said...

A nice area to explore

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Have you ever encountered a bear while hiking? That's what scares me about hiking in the Rockies.

turquoisemoon said...

Steve, I've been exploring RMNP since the 70's...I never tire of it.

Debra, Last year (with my granddaughter) was the first year I ever saw a bear. It was a cub and it ran in front of my car...running fast, like maybe mama was wanting it to hurry up.

Arkansas Patti said...

Yikes, wonder if the flooding affected the cabin? You are out of there now aren't you?

turquoisemoon said...

Patti, Ooh yes! I've been home for almost 2 weeks. I have no idea if it is up to the cabin...it was only a few feet from it. From what I understand all roads in and out of EP are closed. Water is beautiful and powerful...

Plowing Through Life (Martha) said...

Oh my goodness, how beautiful this is! I bet your soul feels rejuvenated being there. What a fabulous way to relax, get in touch with Mother Nature and take fabulous photos!

turquoisemoon said...

Martha...I never, ever get enough of it. Love it!

Carolyn said...

Gorgeous country where you live. If I had money? I'd have a cabin somewhere around there.

I love Colorado ... was there last year ... stayed a week in Estes Park in a motel on the Fall River right outside my window...

The million dollar highway ~ Ouray was one of my greatest ... on my knees... experiences.

gotta go fetch it and read it again. that's why I love having a blog. wish I had one years ago.

http://amigoingsomeplace.blogspot.com/2012/04/estes-park-today.html

turquoisemoon said...

Caroly, OOoh I often wish I had moved there when I had my chance...family is all here though. The Fall river is my favorite. I've spent lots of time listening to that river. Did you know there is a webcam of the Fall River? I visit EP daily by webcam...

Cathy Sherman said...

Gorgeous photographs, Lynn. So terrible about the flooding. I have many relatives there. One cousin said that school was cancelled, and her husband was cooking food for the evacuees. Hope the water subsides soon.
http://catherinesherman.wordpress.com/

turquoisemoon said...

Cathy, Thanks!!! Oooh my, I've been watching the flooding on u tube all morning...

Linda said...

Oh these areas are gorgeous!!!...we have a few places like that in Maine where I have explored...I need to get back up north & see them again... Mountains & rivers are my favorite places...so magical... Be careful of the flooding TM... Hope your out of the way where you are...

((HUGS))

Dee said...

Dear Turquoisemoon, like you, I enjoy walking trails in parks. For ten years, I vacationed yearly in the northern part of Minnesota where there are many wilderness parks. For two weeks, I walked a different trail each day. I look back on those years as golden.

Your posting reminded me of all that. I think I need to plan a vacation each year where I can do that again. It reinvigorates the soul. Peace.

turquoisemoon said...

Dee, I love hiking...love it. You just can't see waterfalls, lakes, streams from town!!!