Monday, September 2, 2013

Horse Pull

 They are beautiful and athletic.
 They seem excited to come into the arena...
 Sheesh...beautiful!!!
 
 The average horse can pull between 7200 pounds and 13800 pounds.
They are hooked up to a sled and cinder blocks are added. Each cinder block weighs about 50 lbs.

Horsepulling has come quite far from the early 1900's. Although the Amish use horses to do their field work, those horses who labor on the farm for many hours a day usually don't end up in the Pulling Arena on the week-end. The few farmers that use their pulling stock to haul manure, mow hay or cut hay, do not do this on a consistent basis.
So, the Sport of Horsepulling is exactly THAT. It is a sport with a team of equine athletes. The work that goes into them to get ready for competition is endless.
The best horses in competition are worked every day to keep their muscles and tendons in great shape to pull heavy loads. They are no different than a weight lifter or football player getting ready for their given sport. Some folks that don't understand the sport think a horse pulling weighted loads is harmful to them. Only in a marathon would a horses heart rate and blood volume be highly affected. Ask any veterinarian! These draft animals are bred for their strength and agility to pull heavy loads and these short distances they pull does not raise these levels enough to affect them. They are so proud of themselves when they complete a pull. Watch them strut their stuff when they are unhitched.
 
 The picture below is of a runaway team.
These horses weigh between 1500 and 2200 pounds each.
About 4000 lbs of horse, flying around the arena at top speed...not fun!
This is why I went to the fair...these beautiful horses.
I am amazed at their size...their strength...their excitement to pull-to compete.
did I mention that I love the smell of horses???
ommmm

16 comments:

Plowing Through Life (Martha) said...

Wonderful photos! Those horses are enough reason to go to any fair. They are beautiful creatures.

Laurie said...

amazing beautiful horse and such strength! Wow, wonderful photos! Thanks for sharing!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I always think of my Dad when I see heavy horses. He loved them so much. When he was a boy, they still used Clydesdales and Percherons to farm with. You took some fabulous photos!

turquoisemoon said...

Martha...Oooh how I wish I could get in the arena and take pics!!! They are awesome. Soon, it will be American Royal time, here in KC. I can't wait for the cutting show.

Laurie, I just simply love horses. I just wish, I was a better photographer and really, really get some good pics.

Debra, BF's dad used horses too!!! What a fun memory!you two have. I think they are just beautiful and they really seemed to love the competition. The winning team didn't even break a sweat...they won last year too.

Manzanita said...

You got in some great shots. Speaking of Amish. I love their old way of life. Did you know they have practically no disease compared to the urban population? They have hardly any EMF's.

turquoisemoon said...

Manzanita, Thanks! I could never be Amish...no electricity!!! dishwasher, curling iron, dryer, washing machine, vacuum, frig, air conditioning, lights, indoor plumbing...need I go on??? hahaha

Angelina said...

Beautiful pictures! I love those strong horses.

Terri said...

Such majestic beauties...and so powerful!

turquoisemoon said...

Angelina, Oooh me too! I love any horse, but these are just magnificent!!!

Terri...don't forget that they smell good too... hahaha! I think so anyway!!

Arkansas Patti said...

I love the draft horses and those were beautiful. Saddle horses are fine but the heavily muscled horses really appeal to me.
Me too on the smell.

turquoisemoon said...

Patti, These were absolutely beautiful!!! Magnificent!!! Yes...the smell...

Out on the prairie said...

A fun activity to watch.I like when they are pulling a variety of wagons also.

turquoisemoon said...

Steve, Ooh yes, that's fun too!

Luci & Loree said...

I always loved he smell of horses too!!! Had a horse when I was in high school and the best was riding and coming back and grooming her and watching her be so happy to have the touch & attention!

Teresa Evangeline said...

I missed this post, and I love it! I love the smell of horses, too, and these photos are wonderful!

turquoisemoon said...

Thanks Teresa!!! I just love them... What's that saying??? The outside of a horse is good for the inside of a man. or woman..hahaha