Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Getting There

 Crossing Kansas is probably not considered "fun" by most, however, I love it.
I've mentioned before that as I drive through the Flint Hills, my thoughts drift to the pioneers. Kansas actually has a rich history and was filled with hardy folks who settled here.
When crossing Kansas, I try to stop at one or two little towns or attractions. 
I'm really trying to get to know my state.
This year we stopped at the Cathedral on the Plains in Victoria, Ks.
It can be seen from I-70, but this is the first time I've ever stopped.
Found out that it's listed as one of the 8 Wonders of Kansas.
The "Cathedral of the Plains" is Saint Fidelis Catholic Church. It has seating for 1,100 people, which, at the time of it's dedication, made it the largest church west of the Mississippi River. They started construction 1908 and completed in 1911.
I must admit, I never knew that Kansas had waterfalls until recently...
and for sure didn't think Kansas had 8 Wonders...sheesh! will the wonders of Kansas never cease???
 I also revisited Goodland. 
This little town has the coolest car repair shop..hahaha!!!
OK...this is the town I've been getting old truck/car photos and I just had to stop again!
 Remember these ole gas stations??? and remember that an attendant would come running out, fill your car and...cleaned your windows!
Remember Ethel???
Regular or Ethel...that is
People fail to realize that the Kansas state line stops well before the mountains...
There is a lot of flat highway between the Kansas border and the mountains and it's Colorado. yep...Colorado has flat land too.
At Limon, on a clear day, you can spot Pikes Peak.
Love entering Estes Park by way of the Big Thompson Canyon.
The temperature starts dropping as we climb in elevation...
then...
the smell of pine...
ommmm

23 comments:

Carolyn said...

Kansas had waterfalls? well, count me in as one who tried really hard to smile and explore going through Kansas on my travels last year … I did like, was it Garden City? guess I could go see but too lazy … and hot.

All states have their charm for sure, glad I read this. 8 Wonders? glad you posted this… the largest church west of the Mississippi… and yes, me too, I thought of the pioneers forging rivers and how in the world! did they get across mountains and… well, they were a hardy crowd… hard to imagine the hardships…

One Fly said...

We do about the same things. I say you came away with some pretty impressive shots.

Plowing Through Life (Martha) said...

I love those church photos. Old churches are always fun to visit, and to photograph. There is so much history, and so many stories, in them.

Teresa Evangeline said...

Beautiful sentence describing your arrival into Estes. I love Kansas: the rolling hills, the plains, and yes, around Limon there's a long stretch of some very lonely highway... Have a wonderful time!

Teresa Evangeline said...

I missed your previous post! I see you've returned... so glad you had a good time... :)

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I really like your shots of the steeples and the glass votives -- very arty!

Arkansas Patti said...

I sure do remember the old gas stations and I also remember holding up three fingers to the attendant indicating $3.00 worth of gas please. That would carry me all week.

Out on the prairie said...

Those back roads can have some treasures. the gas station looks like one my dad worked at in high school. I found one that still has full service at no extra charge in NE .

turquoisemoon said...

Carolyn, I've lived in Ks all my life and didn't realize it has waterfalls till this year??? and one is near my house??? oooh silly me!

Fly, Thanks!!! I always try to hit a new place while traveling... Sometimes I'm in such a hurry to get to RMNP that it's hard getting off the highway.

Martha, I wish I had taken better/more pics of the churches in NM. Sheesh...that state has some awesome ones to snap.

Teresa, We always try to be the first in the car to spot the mountains. Haze sometimes makes it difficult, and they always say they see them...and I know they didn't. hahaha

Thank you Debra!!! It really was a beautiful church. I could have spent much more time there, but had to get rolling. The mountains were calling, you know...

Patti, OOoh and how they would clean the windshield!!! Gas was pretty cheap "back in the olden days"...love saying that now!!!

Steve, I'm lovin these little side trips and day trips. Lots of interesting things to see and hopefully, photograph.

Dee said...

Dear Turquoisemoon, I, too, am surprised to learn that Kansas has seven wonders . . . and maybe more. I've been across the state only a couple of times. During college I traveled down to the southwest corner for a meeting at a college there. And before entering the convent, my dad, mom, brother, and i drove out to the Rockies in Colorado. But my real thoughts about Kansas are always the book by Conrad Aiken entitled "The Sea of Grass, which was about the six-foot-or-more tall prairie grass that the wagon trains met when they first crossed the Missouri and went into Kansas. Peace.

CraveCute said...

Great post! Your photos of the church are beautiful! I have lots of relatives in Kansas. They are a sturdy folk!

turquoisemoon said...

Dee, My sister has the book and now I want it. This summer's day trips has been wonderful, educational and has inspired me to research Kansas. I have never read "The Sea of Grass". It may be something I'd like to do when winter sets in... Thanks for that info.

turquoisemoon said...

CraveCute, Thank you!!! I wish I was as sturdy as the pioneers...but, without air-conditioning, I don't think I'd make it very long back in those early days. I just went for a walk and I'm sweating something awful. How did they do it in those long skirts????

Manzanita said...

My favorite photo is the old gas station. Yes, you really did get the service that went with the price of gas AND gas was cheap then, too. Remember the old Texaco show. Was that Sid Ceasar? At the beginning, 4 or 5 men singers would come out dressed like station attendants.

turquoisemoon said...

Manzanita...hmmmm...kindof remember? but, don't know if it was Sid Ceasar or not???

Carolyn said...

It was Uncle Miltie! Milton Berle ;)

turquoisemoon said...

Carolyn...oooh yes it was!!!

Introverted Art said...

it looks fun :) The church is so beautiful... I love church photos too, like Martha.

turquoisemoon said...

Ana, Got to admit, old Catholic churches are beautiful. Colorful candles, stained glass windows, pillars...beautiful. You should see the ones in NM!!!

Randy said...

Beautiful church.

turquoisemoon said...

OOoh Randy...it really is!

Cathy Sherman said...

We are usually in a hurry to cross Kansas, too, when we're going to Colorado, but one year we left a day early (before we could check into our place) and stopped at this cathedral and also Fort Hays. There's a lot to see in Kansas, and I look forward to exploring more of it with you and our cameras!

turquoisemoon said...

Hey Cathy!!! We're gonna have fun aren't we??!!! It's great finding a photo buddy...who understands!!! hahaha