Saturday, August 31, 2013

Mo State Fair

 So...how many of you go to state fairs???
I like them and tend to go every year if I can.  The Missouri State Fair is much closer to my house than the Kansas State Fair...so this is where I headed. I didn't take BF, this year, because sometimes my photography drives him nuts. I look for things that might make for some fun photos...he, on the other hand, looks at farming stuff. The photo above is an old highway patrol vehicle...boy! haven't they changed??? They were long and sleek with huge engines.
 Since I was by myself, I didn't stay there after dark. I got there close to noon. It would have been great to get some photos of the midway after dark, but I just didn't feel real safe.
Ate some chili-dogs, fried green tomatoes, icecream, peanut butter fudge and a snow cone.
I had never had fried green tomatoes and had such a craving...geeze, since the movie, named after them came out. A    l o n g    time ago.
Well they weren't up to my expectations, so I got icecream to help lessen the disappointment.
 I went for a specific purpose and it didn't start untill 5:30, so I roamed around until 5ish then headed for the horse arena. The children's farm area was probably my favorite.
 I also like looking at the art that had been submitted. I never thought about entering art at a state fair, yet there is quite a bit and it's good!!! I normally think of state fair / farming stuff...???
 Is it just me??? or do these intrigue you???
I never go in and I don't know why not.
At 5, I headed for the horse pull...the reason I went.
ommmm

10 comments:

Gregory Urbano said...

I love the fair, great series of shots!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Lots of good photo ops at a fair! I saw a spider woman once and a head without a body. It's amazing what they can do with mirrors.

One Fly said...

Ice cream always helps. Good story and the pictures are excellent.

Arkansas Patti said...

Ooh, that cop car looks like the first one that pulled me over as a teen.
That type of peep shows use to interest me but I never went either. Wonder if we are missing anything?

turquoisemoon said...

Thank you Gregory!!! Fairs are so much fun... I certainly didn't add all the shots I took. Thought it might be boring for all.

Debra, I don't know why I don't go in one of those side shows??? I think I would feel awful gawking at those people...but, sheesh! I guess that's how they make a living.

Fly...YES!!! Ice cream helps everything. It was fun, but being by myself was kindof icky, but...I was on a mission to get some other photos and I knew nobody would want to stay around while I took a kazillion pics...

Patti, I remember those ole patrol cars too. I remember going in one (a peep show) when I was young...it made me sad, so I just don't go in them anymore.

Teresa Evangeline said...

I was just thinking about fairs yesterday, especially the county fairs of my youth. Great photos you have here. I'm surprised they still have those sideshows. I remember peeking into them when I was a kid... very taboo and very intriguing, of course. Ice cream to heal a disappointment is always a good idea... :)

turquoisemoon said...

Teresa, I went to a county fair last year, but missed it this year. They're fun. Love watching the kids with their entries...trying to keep a cow or pig clean must be tiring. Yes, side shows were always kindof taboo...I think I remember a "girlie" show??? but, that was...sheesh...60(gulp) years ago! I didn't, of course, go to it, but I think I remember the hawkers trying to get the men to go inside... I love ice cream anytime, but, you are right! It does heal a disappointment. hahaha

黄清华 Wong Ching Wah said...

Feel like in the movies !

Plowing Through Life (Martha) said...

This is definitely a great place to take photos. So many interesting things to capture! And anywhere where there is ice cream is a good place to be :)

turquoisemoon said...

Wong Ching Wah...Yes...it kind of does.

Martha, It's always fun. I got some interesting shots,in fact, probably too many. Ice Cream makes everything good!!! again!!!