Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Ten and Ten

This was the church I went to as a child.
 School was on the lower level.
This is where I had my First Holy Communion.
This is where I went for my first confession.
And, this is where I got my first 10 & 10...that's 10 Hail Marys and 10 Our Fathers, as my penance for my sins.
I can't remember exactly if I was seven or eight, but it was around that age when I first went to confession. I'm sure my confession was something like,  I ate an extra cookie that I shouldn't have or I sassed my mother or I didn't come right in when mom called or I didn't take a nap or I didn't pick up my toys...
All Hell Worthy!!!  I was given 10 and 10...
Life went on, more confessions...more 10 and 10.
I left the church in my mid-teens.
Long story short ~ after my husband passed I wanted try Catholicism again...Wanted to be sure I was making the right decision for me, so I went back to church after ooooh....about 30 years... that's 30 years of sinning!
I decided to go to confession, so I headed for Colorado. Why Colorado???
...sheesh...I wasn't about to tell all my sins at a local church.
Actually, it was just that time of year when I always go to the mountains.
Anyway...30 years! later, I confessed...geez...
... some major hell worthy sins...
I can remember kneeling there, thinking that this is going to take all day.
Now, the priest was running late and the vestibule was full of sinners waiting to be heard.
"Forgive me Father, for I have sinned...my last confession was about 30 years ago."
I heard a slight gasp come from behind the screen...
I was encouraged to kind of just hit on the highlights...
Hit on the hightlights??? Huh??? We're talking Hell...
I was thinking I'd be saying my penance for flippin ever...
Sure enough...10 and 10
~ and I'm much better (nicer) today ~
Already meditated...
ommmmm

17 comments:

Manzanita said...

"Didn't want to tell all your sins at a local church".... you crack me up.

Plowing Through Life (Martha) said...

Oh, you are good! I haven't been to confession in decades, and don't plan to go any time soon!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Hahahahaha -- lucky you, you got to clear out 30 years of sins for a measly 10 & 10 -- "fire sale prices!" (so to speak)

One Fly said...

These robed men behind the curtain knew much of the time who it was on the other side.

it's a crime what they do to children's minds.

There is no such thing as a finger snapper.

Arkansas Patti said...

I cracked up at what that poor priest must have been thinking with 30 years of sins stored up.

turquoisemoon said...

Manzanita, No...I really didn't!!! I always try to go to Colorado in the fall, so figured I'd just confess while I was out there. hahaha...We're talking 30 years of sins. Sheesh!!!

Martha, After confession, I went back and took the RCIA classes. Nine months of relearning Catholicism. I wanted to give it a fair chance now that I'm an adult. Still didn't work out for me.

Debra...YeS!!! A Fire Sale!!! hahaha! Love that...

Fly, I knew this would rile you!!! hahaha. I always got 10 & 10... You're right. So many of us still have awful guilt trips. I can remember when my grandfather died. I knew he ate meat on Friday and was so worried that he hadn't confessed that horrible sin??? Now it's no longer a sin. Sheesh...

Patti, Honestly~I heard him gasp!!! He was running late and Saturday mass started at 5:30, so there was only about 30 minutes for all of us waiting.

Randy said...

Too funny!

turquoisemoon said...

Randy...It's funny now!!!

Linda Myers said...

I thought about trying Catholicism again after 30 years, but there were so many things that didn't sit right with me the first time I decided not to.

I found a Unitarian church that does it for me. So nice to be back in a faith community!

turquoisemoon said...

Linda, I'm glad the Unitarian church fit your needs. I'm in favor of anything/any church that brings comfort and joy...

Angelina said...

Well, you're good to go for another 30 years now. My laugh for the day! :)

turquoisemoon said...

Angelina, hahaha...yep! that's what I figured. Actually, I think that time-frame is the high sinning age. I think I'm good to go for more than 30.

Lisa said...

What a lovely story- I never could handle confession. The very thought made me ill.

Lon Anderson said...

That's a nice looking church, but I wouldn't dare give my confessions, for I'd keep the man there all day.

turquoisemoon said...

Lisa, Confession isn't the reason I left the Catholic church. It would take several posts to explain all the reasons....

Lon, That's a recent pic of the old church. The new church is nearby...it's huge! To be honest, I love the "feel" of old catholic churches.

FOLKWAYS NOTEBOOK said...

From a former Catholic -- I laughed out loud when I read your piece this morning -- especially having to travel to Colo to confess your 30 years of sin. Sounds like meditations are doing well with you. -- barbara

turquoisemoon said...

Barbara, As a former Catholic...you know exactly what I mean. hahaha