Tuesday, July 2, 2013

My Kitchen Lecture



I call this my kitchen lecture because I have this list posted in one of my kitchen cupboards. 
I'm a firm believer that happiness is a choice
...and that it takes conscious effort.

15 Ways to Become Happy
1.Give up caring what other people think of you. Spending time worrying what others think,
is a waste of energy. You’ll never please everyone and it’s really none of your business what others think of you in the first place.
2. Give up trying to please everyone. Live life to the beat of your own drum. Just do the best you can and don't judge yourself.
3. Give up participating in gossip. 100 percent of the time, those sharing gossip with you will gossip about you. 
4. Quit Worrying. Where thoughts go, energy flows. Worry is investing time and energy in something you don’t want to have happen. Learn to let go and trust.
5. Let go of insecurity. We take ourselves too seriously, we think everyone else does too. No one really cares or watches you that closely.
6. Stop taking everything personally. Truth is, most people are too consumed with their own life to really consider what you’re doing.
7. Give up the past. We’ve all been hurt, we all had parents that made mistakes and we’ve all been through hell. Give up all those voices, in your head, that try to bring up the past.
8. Give up spending money on what you don’t need in effort to buy happiness. Living simply allows the space for life to flow. We complicate our lives by spending too much money filling our home with “things.” Less is truly more. 
9. Give up anger.  Anger burns a hole in the hand of the person still holding on to it. 
10. Give up control. Control is an illusion.  We live in an out of control world.  Learn to embrace the new and welcome change.
11. Blame No One. Aaah...this just starts that brain chatter going. It has a chance to pop into your life and cause grief.
12. Forgive. Forgive yourself and others!!!
13. Do Not Compare. There's always going to be some that's better and some that's worse. That's Life!
14. Meditate or Pray Daily. Start with 10 minutes a day. Only 10 minutes, and you will see an amazing change.
15. Start Back at #1.  

When a person harbors even one of these traits...they become unhappy. 
The reason is because it allows that crazy voice, in our head, to start chattering!
I meditate daily. It has taught me how to control that chatter...those voices.
So...during the day, if that chatter starts up, for any reason...I say what I say if my mind drifts during meditation, "Thinking"
ommmm
 

23 comments:

Teresa Evangeline/Bayou Summer said...

Good reminders, and timely... :)

Babylon Sisters said...

I love this! Thanks so much!

Plowing Through Life (Martha) said...

Great list to live by. Some days we need to read through this list more than once!

turquoisemoon said...

Martha, That's #15...hahaha!!! I know!

Arkansas Patti said...

Excellent rules to live by. I need work on #8. Not sure I am trying to buy happiness but gadgets sure do make me spend when I shouldn't.

Li said...

I've made strides in some of these over the years, but control is a big problem area - not people, but things. I tend to be on the OCD end of the spectrum, and spilling coffee on the floor or clutter in a room can still be a major issue. But I'm working on it! The most helpful one for me was eliminating toxic people from my life a few years back, including 1 or 2 family. All had many, many chances and warnings. Once I did it a huge load lifted, and I've never regretted it. This is a great list, thanks!

Chung said...

With what I've read in this post of yours today I find as very good advice and something really worth pondering.

Lisa said...

wonderful list- all about get back to basics for sure x

turquoisemoon said...

Sheesh...I keep leaving responses to your comments and they keep disappearing. What's up???

turquoisemoon said...

Teresa & Babalon Sis, this is the 3rd time I've tried to respond to your comments.
I keep this list inside one of my kitchen cabinets. Whenever I'm down, I read it and sure enough I'm doing one of the things on the list.
((Hope this posts))

turquoisemoon said...

Chung, It really works. Ponder it for awhile and think about the times you're sad...bet you see one of the items listed. I always do!!

turquoisemoon said...

Lisa, It really is. Every item on the list, we've heard before.

Li, Toxic people is a pretty complex subject, but the end result is that a person just has to rid themselves of that person.

turquoisemoon said...

Patti, I tend to take things too personal, then rehash the conversation over and over again, playing myself and the other person. Trying to figure out what I could have said differently...makes me crazy!!!

Out on the prairie said...

A reminder where you will see it often.

ellen abbott said...

Excellent list and so true. I was in a women's group once and I tried telling one woman in particular that she could change her life by taking control of all the negative thoughts she dwelled in. She just wouldn't, couldn't accept what I was telling her, that she had control. Then I saw her a few years later and by some way or another she finally had grasped what I had been telling her, that she could choose happy or choose to wallow in all the negatives. It does make a difference.

turquoisemoon said...

Steve...yes, very often. I choose happiness.

Ellen, I know...I have a dear friend who has been unhappy for over 40 years. She carries her past with her in every current conversation. Within minutes of meeting her, she will tell you her sad story. Sheesh...I love her, but that happened 40 years ago. Her husband left her... This is what I'm talking about...

Hindustanka said...

Putting it right on my fridge too!And may be in my room as well. Great points...

Garima said...

Well I blogged something which I was very angry about and one of your followers "Anna" recommended me to read your post.
Lovely post it is.But you know...you really need a big heart to follow all these.. :)
following...

turquoisemoon said...

Hindustanka, I just wanna be happy! I put all sorts of "messages" in my kitchen cabinets. I spend so much time there.

Garima, Welcome!!! hmmmm...it's really about silencing the voices in your head. That crazy brain chatter...

Dee said...

Dear Turquoisemoon, this list is filled with the wisdom that I think takes the living of many lives to realize. I'm going to copy it and put it on my refrigerator. And I'm sending your URL to a friend of mine, who, I'm sure, will appreciate these reminders of how to live on the path to bliss. Thank you for sharing. Peace.

turquoisemoon said...

Dee, this works for me! And, like I said, I'm a firm believer that it takes a conscious effort. I have down days, then all of a sudden, I read my list and sure enough, I'm wallering in one or two of my "don'ts". I have to consciously stop myself... it's amazing...

Feathers said...

wonderful, wonderful tips and list! yes, i too believe happiness is a conscious choice.

turquoisemoon said...

Feathers, Yes!!! it is...