Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Lavender Fields

I find that photography is mostly a solitary hobby...unless you find a friend who has the same passion. Someone who understands the need to focus, to simply stare at a scene, doesn't need to be at your side, will pull over for something "anything".  A photo buddy knows why you're taking 15 pics of the same shot...understands why you're waiting for a bee or butterfly...understands why 100 photos of a field is not nearly enough. A photo buddy understands the silence of photography.
It's harvest time, for lavender, so last Sunday a photo buddy and I headed out fairly early to a lavender farm.
The Washington Creek Lavender Farm, south of Lawrence, Ks.
This is what some of the Kansas back roads look like.
 Workers
I could not do this...bent over all the time.
I would never ever be able to stand up straight again.
 The fragrance...oooh my...!!!
 A soft breeze, the fragrance and humming of bees...
 White lavender???? 
Beautiful!
 Row after row
 Took lots of pics, but not nearly enough...
After I got home, I noticed that too many of my pics were blurry. Sure enough, I hadn't changed one of my settings from the firework photo shoot. dang......!!!
 Their store was filled with all sorts of delightful lavender products.
I bought my sister her birthday gift and of course, one for me too...
That fresh lavender smell was ... "clean" ...and could easily put me to sleep.
Sooo relaxing.
We had a lunch in Lawrence, then headed home.
It was a good day...
mmmmm
&
ommmm

21 comments:

Susan Alton said...

Beautiful photos.

Completely understand your photo hobby comment. When I'm out with hubby or a group walking, I have to take "express" photos, or run a distance to catch up if I take my time with composing shots.

When we lived in Washington state, our front yard had a number of lavender plants. I loved working around the plants and pruning them. You're right, it's a very relaxing scent.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

There's nothing like having a little lavender sachet in the socks 'n panties drawer!

Linda Starr said...

Oh I can smell the lavender; reminds me of my lavender farm. I grew the white variety too, it was hard bending over to pick. One of my lavender grower friends said that using milking stool strapped to your bum made it easier to harvest. I had an electric trimmer I used to cut the stems. Next place I have I'm going to grow it again. Nothing more relaxing than lavender.

Arkansas Patti said...

Oh I'll bet the smell was divine. I do love lavender and it does make one sleepy. Isn't digital wonderful? There is no limit on the number of pictures we can take plus there isn't any development cost.

turquoisemoon said...

Susan, Normally I do photography by myself, but it was fun to go with someone who enjoys photography as much as, if not more than I do.

Debra, I got one to hang in my closet...I wish I had gotten more. They sell their products at the city market so I may just have to go get more.

Linda, I thought of you while I was taking photos. I remembered that you had a lavender farm and I believe I saw a pic one time??? You are so right...nothing more relaxing...mmmm

Patti, Ooh it was divine! To me, it's such a "clean" smell... Ooh yes, I love digital. I never could have afforded film.

Plowing Through Life (Martha) said...

These photos are beautiful! I absolutely understand the feelings surrounding photography --- the silence, the focus, the desire to snap dozens of photos of the same subject, the need to pull over suddenly to capture something, etc. Photography is a passion, and if you enjoy it the way I see you do, the world becomes one big photography. And life slows down because it takes much longer to get from point A to point B since you need to stop many, MANY times along the way!

turquoisemoon said...

Martha, I think the reason so many of us love photography is the zen of it. We are in the present, the now while we are shooting. I love it!!!

ellen abbott said...

Ya know, there must be something wrong with me but I just do not get all the swooning over lavender.

turquoisemoon said...

Ellen, OOh yes!!! There is something wrong with you... hahaha!!! It's relaxing, smells clean, freshens up closets, undie drawers...I just love the fragrance...mmmm

Lisa said...

Yes.
Lavender.
Beautiful. x

turquoisemoon said...

Agreed Lisa!!! Beautiful!

Randy said...

Oh to have the chance to nap in the middle of that field.

Manzanita said...

Nice butt shot. I didn't know there were lavender farms, but I imagine so if they sell it. Dummy me. Lavender blue, dilly dilly, lavender green. I wonder where that came from.

Hindustanka said...

A perfect day... in lavender fields! oh my, how i wish to lie there among those fragrant bushes... thanks for sharing such beauty and relaxation :)

turquoisemoon said...

Randy...one word...chiggers! I have bites all over me.

Manzanita, I knew they had farms, but had never seen white lavender before.

Hindustanka, again...chiggers!!! A hammock would work!

Desert Diva said...

Sometimes, photographing in a group is fun but mostly I like to go out on my own. It's relaxing, and I can set my own pace - it's "Zen" like.

I love lavender - lucky you to visit and photograph the farm! :-)

turquoisemoon said...

Diva, It was a surprise to me to find a lavender farm so near...well about an hour away, but that's still kindof near!!!

Introverted Art said...

wow these shots are beautiful. I keep imagining the fragrance in the field.

turquoisemoon said...

Ana...Imagine the chiggers too!!! hahaha

catherinesherman said...

It was a wonderful morning photographing with you, Lynn. I'm already thinking of our next location, and of course I want to return to this lavender farm next year with you! It was a beautiful experience.

turquoisemoon said...

Ooh Catherine, I enjoyed our trip so much. Yes! to next year. I'm thinking about our next trip too...where should we go??? hmmmm...