Saturday, June 22, 2013

Wallendas

Last summer, at Silver Dollar City, we got a chance to see the Wallendas.
Sunday, Nik Wallenda (far right) will attempt walking across the Grand Canyon...sheesh!!!
The tightrope is stretched across the Little Colorado River Gorge near the Grand Canyon. The third of a mile, razor-thin rope will be suspended 1,500 feet (for reference, that’s about 50 feet higher than the Empire State Building) above the river. Nik will not be wearing a parachute or a harness — and there definitely won’t be a safety net.
He will bid to walk on a tightrope stretched across the Little Colorado River Gorge near the Grand Canyon. The event, which will be broadcast on live television at 8 p.m. EDT on Sunday, June 23rd, with a 10 second delay.

As far back as 1780, in the cafes of Old Bohemia in the 
Austro-Hungarian Empire, the ancestral Wallenda family was a traveling circus troupe consisting
of acrobats, jugglers, clowns, aerialists and animal trainers all in one family.
(The color pics are mine)
I was amazed at their performance. The concentration and focus...
Look at the young one on the far right...already learning this family tradition.
They were totally professional and for sure, not silly acting.
Just another day at the office???? not....
I was 9 years old when the 1956 movie, Trapeze, starring Burt Lancaster came out. Needless to say, I started practicing somersaults, flips, handstands, etc. for my future career in the circus...
The Show Must Go On!
ommmm

13 comments:

Manzanita said...

OMG.... I won't be watching it on TV because I can't even read about it. Why would anyone do that???????

gregory urbano said...

crazy to attempt that but i love the retro troupe photo!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I know when Nik Wallenda crossed Niagara Falls, the TV network insisted he wear a harness because they didn't want to broadcast him plummeting to his death in case something went wrong. He didn't like it, but he did it. Interesting to see that this time there's a 10 second delay and no harness. I guess that's how they've solved the issue -- if he falls, it won't be broadcast.

His family truly is legendary. How cool that you saw them perform in person!

turquoisemoon said...

Manzanita, It's their family tradition. It's their life. hahaha..many have "family issues", but can you imagine???

Gregory, Isn't that photo awesome??? I loved it.

Debra, They were there, so I made it a point to go see their performance. I was amazed...they were totally focused and professional.

Ooh we were not allowed to use flash on our cameras... Can you imagine trying to walk, balance, whatever with hundreds of flashes???

Arkansas Patti said...

There has been so much tragedy in that family. Not sure I can watch. In high school, we put on the Sailor Circus every year-big top and all. Being the winter home of the Ringling Circus, I had lots of class mates who had performing parents. I tried out for the high wire and did OK on the low training wire then discovered I was afraid of heights. Oops. Ended up a clown.
I do so hope Nik stay safe.

Lisa said...

wow. i am terrified on his behalf. wow

turquoisemoon said...

Lisa, Ooh me too!!!

Patti, I don't know if I'm going to watch it or not. Didn't watch the Niagara one...just the thought!!! OOh I can just imagine you as a clown. hahaha! I hope he does it and then doesn't do stuff like this again.

Laurie said...

thats amazing, I have heard of this group,

turquoisemoon said...

Laurie, They are very famous circus performers.

I don't think I can watch this tonight...

Chung said...

That is truly remarkable!!!

turquoisemoon said...

Chung, It's starting and I'm in here...Just Can't Watch!

Chung said...

Thank you for posting about him being on television, I watched, and I'm so glad that he made it across!!!

turquoisemoon said...

Chung, I ended up watching it...amazing!!!