Friday, June 7, 2013

Memory Lane in Warsaw

I'll tell you...I'm lovin these day trips.
I get all my chores done. Then, one day a week...Lucy and I are on vacation.

These old buildings were located at the Harry S. Truman Visitor Center in Warsaw, Mo.
The Elmore Cabin sits, nestled in the woods.
OOh my...very small. No kitchen area in it. I believe they are rebuilding the summer kitchen.
Yes, back in the day...they had summer kitchens.
Concord Schoolhouse
Lace for the windows.
What a soft view of the world.
Built in 1857,  Mechanics Bank was later converted into the Benton County Jail building, which is still used today.
The Joe Dice Swinging Bridge.
The bridge was used for car traffic until Truman Lake was constructed in the 70's. Crosses the Osage River.
Truman Dam
The reason I made this day trip.
My husband and I fished below this dam all the time. Great place to catch walleye...yummmmm
During the hotter summer months, we would use the boat and fish on down the Osage river.
I haven't been here since my husband passed in 1999...so this was a walk down memory lane.
Some great memories and now I have a craving for some walleye.
Satisfied my love of bones when I found this...
Venus in Capricorn...sheesh!!!
luv dem bones
Fun day trip to Warsaw.
Beautiful area and brought back lots of fun memories. One place kind of made me sad. There used to be a beautiful stand of pecan trees...just a beautiful nature spot. Now it's an RV camping spot...blah!!!!
I went into town and stopped at a fudge shop...that helped me to quit wallerin'  in self pity...
chocolate pecan fudge.
ommm

21 comments:

Manzanita said...

Ahh,
A little chocolate always lifts the spirits, oh wise woman. That was a lively day trip that brought back good memories. Good photos. I grew up on walleyes as we lived beside a walleye lake. Best fish!!!!!

turquoisemoon said...

Manzanita, Love walleye! and crappie, coated in a flour and cornmeal mixture and fried!!! Unhealthy??? who cares??? Best ever!

Kittie Howard said...

I think I'd walk over hot coals for a piece of chocolate pecan fudge!

Your post was so peaceful, Lyn, and inspiring as a trip down Memory Lane can bring warm smiles.

turquoisemoon said...

Kittie, Chocolate always cures what ails ya. It's a sleepy little town in the Ozark area. Really enjoyed myself and my memories.

One Fly said...

Walleye may just be the best fish there is. I'm glad you got back to this spot TMoon.

ellen abbott said...

Texas A & M has an outdoor museum on several acres of land showing the history of ranching in Texas via the old cabins and homesteads from the very earliest spanish mission, dugouts, small one room cabins, and as the territory got more settled the cabins got bigger and turned into actual houses all the way to the big victorian as the ranches got bigger and the train depot to ship the cattle off to market. It really is fascinating. One of the two room cabins with the outdoor kitchen building and outhouse my aunt spent many days there as it was the home of her best friend. The family donated it to the museum.

turquoisemoon said...

Fly...oooh I agree!!! but, crappie is right up there too. Ooh yummmmm!!! I haven't even fished since my husband passed and neither have my boys??? Don't know why? One of the managers at BPS will bring me crappie ever once in awhile. Best manager ever.

Ellen, I love going to places like this. I may have to head to TX A&M and check that out. That would be a fun trip... Thanks for the info.

Arkansas Patti said...

You make me want to take a day trip. I love them and don't know why I haven't in a while. You have inspired me.
I loved Harry Truman. We use to get out of school to stand on the sidewalks to wave when he would come to visit the Little White House in Key West.

Feathers said...

i am so jealous, lol
and i'd never say no to chocolate!:)

turquoisemoon said...

Patti, Oh take day trips. Become a sightseer, where your camera around your neck like a true tourist. I'm surprised you haven't visited KC. There's all sorts of Truman places around here...like his library!!! I'm a Truman fan also.

Feathers, That's the #1 rule, never say no to chocolate. #2 is to always take your camera. (also my New Years resolution)

turquoisemoon said...

Patti...that's Wear not Where...sheesh!

Lisa said...

Wow, they are great photos and it is so good you share them with us. These are places I will never see on my own.

Lisa x

turquoisemoon said...

Oh Lisa, that's right! You're from Australia... Isn't blogging fun??? This is why I love it. Thank you, Lisa.

Out on the prairie said...

Walleye is my favorite fresh water to catch and eat. The fudge gets my sweet tooth yearning.

turquoisemoon said...

Steve, It's so good... But don't forget crappie!!! mmmmmmm

ellen abbott said...

Did I say Texas A&M? I meant Texas Tech in Lubbock.

turquoisemoon said...

Ellen, BF sometimes, maybe goes on vacation with me...other times, I simply go by myself or with a girlfriend. This sounds like a wonderful girlfriend trip!!! Thank you for correcting the towns for me...Texas is a big state to just go roaming around. hahaha

Linda starr said...

Day trips are the best love the lace curtains

turquoisemoon said...

Linda, Day trips are wonderful!!!

Chung said...

I love eating fish, and I must say, eating walleye sounds delicious!!! When I was a young boy I remember when my grandma and grandpa used to go fishing for walleyes. They both really knew what they were doing when it came to fishing. Plus my grandpa built his own smokehouse as I recall.

turquoisemoon said...

Chung, Walleye is wonderful. My husband, my boys and I fished ALL the time...almost every weekend. We tent camped and fished. Lots of fun, lots of fish!