Saturday, June 29, 2013

Day at the Zoo

My granddaughter and I went to the Omaha Zoo, last week.
I've always got mixed feelings seeing these wild animals in the zoo environment...but for me, at least I know they're safe and I also find it educational.
Camera friendly too!!
 I could post so many pics, but I'm sure it would bore you, so I just picked out a few.
I loved the penguins!!! I've seen some at the KC zoo, but this display was wonderful. 
There was an ice machine making ice or maybe it was snow, but they sure seemed to like it.
Then they're waddle up and jump in the water and swim around.
 This zoo is famous for this tunnel running through a huge aquarium...with sharks, stingrays and all sorts of cool fish.
 I'd never seen jellyfish before and the colors were amazing.
They would just drift... 
I never realized how transparent they are.
 Handsome dude isn't he???
My dad only gave me one piece of advice...
"The ole leopard don't change his spots."
That's it!!! that's the only piece of advice he ever gave me...but I have sure remembered it.
 For some reason I just liked getting this pic of the lions tongue.
 This is the way to go, unless your toes are cramping trying to hang on to you burkenstocks.
We were so tired after looking at all the exhibits and all the walking, we just rode the train back and forth without getting off.
We got to the zoo when it opened.  The weather was mild, so we stayed all day...but by late afternoon, we were exhausted.We headed back to Old Market and found a fun sidewalk cafe. After eating, I found a fudge shop... What's a trip anywhere without fudge???
What's your favorite flavor?
Right now I'm lovin Peanut Butter Fudge...
ommm

13 comments:

gregory urbano said...

you got some great shots! what kind of camera did you bring to the zoo? i am hesitant to go fearing someone would disallow dslr's!

Plowing Through Life (Martha) said...

Such lovely images! It sounds like a great day together. I enjoy going to the zoo, but like you, I have mixed feelings about it.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I've only seen jellyfish once, in an aquarium on Maui. They were housed in this giant upright tube-like exhibit so they could propel themselves continually up and down, as jellyfish apparently like to do. I could watch them all day!

Linda Starr said...

I mostly hate going to zoos because I hate to see the animals caged up, but I guess they are educational for children so that's a good thing.

Manzanita said...

Great shots of some animals that you would rather face behind bars. The penguins are always so cute, waddling around. A wonderful day out for grandmother and granddaughter.

turquoisemoon said...

Gregory, I have the Canon T3i and a Nikon Coolpix P5l0...I try to take them everywhere.

Martha, I know...hate it, but how else are we going to teach the little ones about animals?? I have very mixed feelings... I will not go to any circus that has elephants. That one is a given for me...

Debra...These jellyfish did the same thing. Awesome!!! I could watch them all day too...

Linda, I go back and forth, however, I refuse to go to a circus that has elephants. Refuse!!!

Manzanita, We loved the penguins!!! They are just so cute!

Arkansas Patti said...

I am with you on the zoo. I know it is necessary for if we didn't see these animals up close, we might not care what happens to them. I guess the zoo animals are taking one for the team.
You really got some nice shots. I would love that aquarium view.

turquoisemoon said...

Patti, That aquarium was awesome! We were in there for the longest time. That was the same area as the jellyfish. Gosh!those so neat (old fashioned word, I know, but they were neat?) I could easily go to sleep watching them...drifting

Randy said...

Love the tongue shot.

turquoisemoon said...

Randy, Thanks...I did too!!!

Out on the prairie said...

You were just across the river from me. I go there a lot

Lisa said...

I too have mixed feelings regarding Zoo's but am realistic enough to see the benefits of them as well. The lions tongue- beautiful x

turquoisemoon said...

Steve, It's a wonderful zoo...And! that aquarium!!!

Lisa, Just that little tip of tongue was sticking out...I thought it was so cute.