Sunday, May 5, 2013

Rust to Z

I have a love of rust.
Rusty ole things just grab my attention...they have a story to tell.
Sometimes, I think, it's just a story of survival.
This old dash is in a Chevrolet truck,  located near the entrance of Bass Pro.
This is an old trailer on BF's farm.
There are no codes in the country, so a person can drive by farms and see all sorts of things. Some are interesting and some just look trashy.
We have codes in the city...and certain things simply aren't allowed.
No old washing machines will be found in my neighborhood, but by the same token, there's not much that grabs my attention or that I'd want to take a picture of.
What's fun is sometimes finding a toilet, filled with flowers in someones yard. Or, old tires, used in some decorative outdoor arrangement. The best, I think I've ever found, was a bathtub shrine to the Virgin Mary. A statue of Mary was centered in a half buried tub, then surrounded with flowers.
I'm sorry if I offend anyone...but, that just made me laugh when I saw it!!!
What's the strangest thing you've ever seen in a yard???
ommmm

15 comments:

Manzanita said...

Rust... You and Neil Young. :)
I like bird baths in a yard. The rest of that "cutsy stuff" can stay in the thrift stores, for my taste.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

There's a yard down the street where they've got an old wheelbarrow on its side, sort of quarter-buried in the ground, with dirt spilling out of it and flowers planted in the dirt. Neat container!

One Fly said...

Nice post TMoon. If anyone is offended that would be tough s/// in my book.

Strangest thing I've seen in a yard? That's easy - just people.

turquoisemoon said...

Manzanita, hahaha! I like bird baths, but I also have skulls and coyote statues (& a few other statues) and wagon wheels.

Debra, I've seen wheelbarrows too! I think that works in yards. What no toilet stools with flowers in your neck of the woods??? hahaha

Fly-yep and some of them are mighty strange! but the really strange stay indoors! hahaha

ellen abbott said...

I love folk art in people's yards. We passed a yard in a small town that had a fence along one side of 'art' made from old mattress springs and rusted wagon wheels and doll heads and farm stuff and rebar welded into whimsy and painted bright colors.

turquoisemoon said...

Hi Ellen, I've seen some fun yard art, whimsical and colorful...but I've also seen some that just makes me cringe...ugh!!!

turquoisemoon said...

There is a huge difference between yard art and just plain ole "no codes" yards. Some of BF's farm is starting to look like a "no codes" area. He says he's just piling stuff around that will eventually go to a burn pile??? hmmmm... I love rusty stuff & colorful stuff with flowers around... but, I find something just wrong about a toilet housing the Virgin Mary...and I'm not even Catholic anymore!!! hahaha!!!

Out on the prairie said...

I have always liked the bath tub Mary's

turquoisemoon said...

Steve...Really??? hahaha! To each their own!!! That's what makes this ole world interesting!

Lisa said...

Rust equates to old age and that is always interesting- a story to tell.
Not to mention 'diamonds and rust' by Joan Baez- an amazing singer and song.

turquoisemoon said...

Lisa, You are soooo right!!! and...I love Joan Baez. Hadn't heard that song in years. Listened to it today...thank you!

Arkansas Patti said...

I like when someone can take a discarded relic and make it attractive with flowers. My favorite was a canoe planted with Vinca and ferns.

turquoisemoon said...

Patti, Attractive is the key word here. I've seen old washing machines filled with flowers and they look just too cute. Then, I've seen old washing machines sitting in a yard...not cute. I love yard art...art!!! I have a girlfriend that has an old rusty tricycle and wagon, surrounded with flowers and a few other kid toys...too cute.

Introverted Art said...

the second picture is just fantastic. the rusty colors are so beautiful...

turquoisemoon said...

Thanks Ana. That's an old horse trailer on BF's farm.