Thursday, May 23, 2013

Leavenworth

A day trip to Leavenworth started off wonderful.
Fort Leavenworth was established in 1827. It was set up to protect wagon trains headed west and to help maintain peace with the Indians. In the 1840's thousands of prairie schooners passed through the post.
Leavenworth prison was completed in 1927 and has housed many  federal prisoners such as Al Capone, Pretty Boy Floyd and The Birdman of Alcatraz. I understand that pictures are permitted from a distance, but I didn't try for any. I also went through Lansing on the way to Leavenworth...Lansing has the state penitentiary. Ooh I guess, to be correct I should say, State Correctional Facility...anyway, there are highway signs reminding drivers, "not to pick up hitchhikers" ....duh!!!
Anyway lots of history in Leavenworth along with some famous names.  Some of the ones that settled here:
General Wm. T. Sherman, Fred Harvey, Wm.F. "Buffalo Bill" Cody, Wild Bill Hickok.
Famous military students:
McArthur, George Marshall, Pershing and Eisenhower.
Well with all this history, I was excited to "see" Leavenworth with new eyes.
It was a bummrrr......
The National Cemetery, in Leavenworth, is where I found Z of my A to Z.
It was quiet and beautiful and yet disturbing to see so many graves at one place.

The C W Parker Carousel Museum.
BORING!!!
Mostly just write-ups.
Chapel of the Veterans is pictured below.
Built in 1893 and is listed in Ripleys Believe It or Not.
The only chapel in the world where Catholic and Protestant services could be held simultaneously under one roof.
Below is the Buffalo Soldier Monument
It honors the black soldiers who served in the 9th and 10th Cavalry from 1866 until the armed services were integrated following WWII...??? I didn't know that???
The only problem with this monument is....

The water is blue and it's staining the rocks.
Why the blue water??? To me it just ruined it.
I wonder why they did this???
How in the world did I take this photo? of myself???
~hint~ I took it at the carousel museum
I suppose the old homes tour would have been interesting, but I just got bored and by the time I waded through the places listed above, I had run out of time. Lucy and I finally said, done!
We headed for Wendy's and got one of those waffle cones they've been advertising on TV.
So...I would give Leavenworth a thumbs down.
ommmm

7 comments:

Out on the prairie said...

Nice shots.My grandparents are in the cemetery. I was just down decorating.My mom went to school in lansing.

turquoisemoon said...

Thanks Steve! Sorry I listed it as a thumbs down. Probably just me. It was hot and very humid the day I visited. The cemetery was extremely beautiful, but just kind of sad to see that so many lives have been lost to wars.

One Fly said...

Any thumbs for the "waffle cone"??
They think blue water is purty and you're actually not where you're at but at a purty and wunerful "blue lagoon" or something like that in paradise. Somewhere else besides Leavenworth anyway.

Arkansas Patti said...

I would have found the cemetery worth the trip. It would give me goose bumps to see the graves of those men.

turquoisemoon said...

Fly, The waffle cone was delish, but had to share with Lucy. The blue water was not purty!!! at all... The statue was incredible. Really liked it, but blue water??? What the...???

Patti, The cemetery was the trip. It was amazing. I took lots of pics and almost all of them turned out good. I had high hopes for the Buffalo Soldier statue. It was beautiful, but the blue water cheapened it.

Randy said...

Nice shots.

turquoisemoon said...

Thank you Randy. I appreciate that!