Saturday, April 20, 2013

Morse of A to Z

The little town of Morse is just a few minutes from my house.
Morse was annexed into the city of Overland Park in August 1985.
All that's left is a church and a couple of buildings. One is a photography studio and the other two are little clothing/decorator boutiques.
It's really now just an intersection...a blink of the eye.
Originally this was a rural community. It has been consumed by Overland Park.  Homes (upper income) now surround this little village.
This is what happens...this is just progress.
At least there is still some memory that a little town, established a long time ago, was here.
I'm glad it's still there. Many have been bulldozed down to make way for progress???!!!
I was born and raised in Overland Park, but now live in Olathe.
60 some odd years ago, Overland Park, was just a small community.
Now it's huge and has a reputation of being one of the best places to live and raise a family...and it is!
It's just that I remember the way it was...
Overland Park is the second most populous city in Kansas. Located in Johnson County, it is the largest suburb in the KC metropolitan area, and is located adjacent to Olathe, Lenexa, Prairie Village and Leawood. As of the 2010 census, the city population was 173,372. Overland Park has consistently ranked in the top 10 of CNN/Money and Money magazine's 100 Best Cities to Live in the United States. Also in 2010, Money Magazine rated Overland Park, Kansas, the 7th best city to live in the United States. Additionally, the city was ranked as one of "The Best Places to Raise Your Kids in 2009" and was ranked 3rd for "America's 10 Best Places to Grow Up".

I looked up Kansas ghost towns.  Isn't that what we do??? Internet leads me from one subject to the next.
Some of the places sound like an interesting visit, some are simply gone. One I must go to is Lecompton...sheesh this town used to be the territorial capitol of Kansas with around 26 saloons. What happened??? Well it was pro-slavery and nearby Lawrence was anti. When Kansas became a state, everything was sent to Lawrence. Now the town only has a few hundred people.
Then there's Squiresville, which is actually located not too far from my home, but just a pasture now. It was built as a stage stop...a hotel, of sorts...if you know what I mean. hahaha!
How about the very unlucky town of Frederick??? Says it's been ravaged by fires and tornadoes ever since it was established in 1878.  28 people still live there...why???
Looks like tornadoes took out a few others. The dust-bowl, highways or railroads bypassing....
Some towns flourished, some just disappeared.
NOW for a Kansas test!
1) Name the most famous female Kansas resident.
2) Name the most famous male Kansas resident.
Answers found somewhere after my
ommmmm



Keep scrolling to find the answers


A few more clicks on down


Answers:
1) Dorothy of course - bet everyone got that one
2) Cousin Eddie ~ Vacation...hahaha


11 comments:

Jan (The Crooked Candle) said...

A very interesting post with wonderful photos. Oh, how I love old buildings and history~

Jan

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Yes, I got Dorothy but missed Cousin Eddie -- "shitter was full!"

turquoisemoon said...

Hi Jan, I do too. Our American history is filled with bravery and courage...and a few Not so good things, like slavery and what was done to the American Indians. But it's history...pretty or ugly. I have a biracial granddaughter, and I want her to know both... Ooh and did you pass the famous Kansas resident test??? hahaha

turquoisemoon said...

Hahaha...Ooh Debra! I'm surprised you didn't guess Cousin Eddie. My favorite line from Vacation was from my favorite Canadian actor...the late great John Candy. "The park's closed. The moose out front should have told you."

One Fly said...

I hate tests but I sure enjoyed your post and it comes alive when you click on the pictures and they get big. It's all true.

turquoisemoon said...

Fly! Isn't it funny where the internet takes us???! I started with Morse and ended up all over Kansas, researching ghost towns. ...and you didn't take the Kansas test??? Bet you were thinkin Marshal Matt Dillon.

Out on the prairie said...

My Grandparents had The Overland Park Gift Shop until 1959.They also had a flower shop next door that became combined.All I can remember on location was a main street business . They moved to Shawnee Mission after that.I have wanted to get down that way to eat Bar-B-Q.

Manzanita said...

It always amazes me that ghost towns were once so thriving and now.... just decaying old buildings. I do like to visit them.

I was going to say the most famous female is turquoisemoon and the man.... her bf hahaha

turquoisemoon said...

Steve, Dang, I can't remember where that was??? Let me know if you remember. My dad owned the Overland Tow Service and was on the volunteer fire department. We got goooood BBQ around here..

Manzanita, They're so interesting! Some were really thriving, then for whatever reason, they got lost in the shuffle. That one that was started just as a stage stop/hotel is a hoot. Basically, the town was just a bordello. hahaha

Arkansas Patti said...

I flunked the test. I thought along Manzi's lines and am not sure I should admit that I don't know who Cousin Eddie is.
I enjoyed the meander through Kansas and how lucky for you to grow up in such a special town.
I too have a fascination with ghost towns. Ah the stories there.

turquoisemoon said...

Patti, Ooh my...Cousin Eddie is the weird brother in law on Vacation and Christmas Vacation with Chevy Chase. hahaha When I was growing up in Overland Park it was just another little town. It didn't take off till much later. I've got so much photography ahead of me. I've got everything in that Day Trip book, Kansas waterfalls and now Ghost towns. This is almost a much fun as going to RMNP...I said almost!! :)