Monday, April 8, 2013

Kansas River = K

I-70 crossing the Kansas River near Lawrence, Ks
I believe this is a 6 lane bridge???  Looks little from this angle.
Cottonwood trees...I think they're beautiful year round.
Different bank views.
Definition I found on Wikipedia
"A river is a large moving body of water that alters the nearby landscape.
A stream is a small river, or a large creek.
A creek is smaller than a stream and larger than a brook.
So the main difference is basically size (and probably local customs or tradition for naming things)."
I've also heard that length is used to determine if it was a river or creek.
My favorite, most favorite,  river is The Fall River in RMNP (see webcam pic of the day)
ommmm

8 comments:

Out on the prairie said...

Some Native Americans believe your soul goes to rest in a cottonwood.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Don't cottonwoods make all that fluff in the Spring that flies around and torments people with allergies?

Manzanita said...

Neat-O pictures. I do love rivers. And I guess ditto for lakes but I have no emotion about oceans, outside of the fact that the salt water is so good for one.
You've got waterfalls and rivers. It's just dry old dusty mountains here and I miss moving water. I grew up beside a lake.
Good shots.

Ashling said...

That's a 6 lane bridge? Wow! Perspective is everything, isn't it? Great photos!

turquoisemoon said...

Steve, I also believe that kachinas are traditionally made from the root. This area has quite a few...very beautiful!

Debra, I think you're right???! I don't have any allergies, so don't think about that. But I think you're right, now that I'm thinking about it.

Manzanita, I'm not a ocean person either. Give me mountains and mountain streams/rivers...

Ashling, To be honest, I can't remember if it's 4 or 6 lanes. The river really wide in some areas. It was hard for me to get a good pic of the bridge from where I was standing. One of the better pics turned out way to light...I've got to get a handle on that aspect of my photography.

Chung said...

Your photos are beautiful!!!

turquoisemoon said...

Ooh thank you Chung!!! I'm learning and enjoying every minute. I spend a lot of time alone and this is the perfect hobby for me. I can Zen out...

Randy said...

I love a nice river.