Wednesday, April 3, 2013

J = Jail to Z

This is J of my A to Z.
The Liberty Jail...in Liberty, Mo.
I had no clue it's considered the Mormon Jail and I'd have to listen to 2 hours of Mormonism.
Actually, the young lady was devoted and very sweet.
She asked all of us our religious orientation...everyone there was of The Church of Latter-Day Saints...cept me, the Buddhist.
 She really explained the history and stressed her faith and belief in Joseph Smith.  Bless her...
And she gave me a copy of the Book of Mormon.
This was the only way in or out.
This is where the Mormon leader, Joseph Smith, was imprisoned in 1838 for his beliefs.
This jail was built in 1833. The limestone jail eventually crumbled, but was reconstructed by the church.
It was considered quite a fortress back in the day. Look at all the rock above the ceiling beams.
2 stories and a roof, but from what I understand, the men spent most of their time in the bottom section.
Joseph Smith is portrayed on the far left...writing by candlelight. I guess he received 3 or 4 more revelations while incarcerated. 
The stone, outside wall, was about 3 feet. The wooden inner part was not built right up to the limestone wall. There was a space in-between...then the space was filled with rock.
OOoh and...Joseph Smith was eventually allowed to escape.
Now, I must say, I enjoyed the presentation. I loved the little tour guide...
I love that her faith brings her so much comfort....and isn't that what it's supposed to do???
So next is K...I'm thinkin Kansas River or KU???
ommmm

11 comments:

Randy said...

Nice shots. Looks like fun place.

One Fly said...

Joe wasn't so lucky another time he was in the slammer in Carthage,IL.

You didn't sigh the book did you TMoon?

Out on the prairie said...

Looks very nice,love the stonework

turquoisemoon said...

Randy, It was interesting. I tried getting good shots, rather that just standing in front and documenting.

Fly, No...didn't sign anything. hahaha! I'll have to read about his Carthage stay.

Steve, I liked the stonework too. The door was interesting...just couldn't get close enough to get a good shot of it.

Arkansas Patti said...

That stone work is awesome. So thick.
I enjoy learning about religions I am not familiar with.

Manzanita said...

Neat building. I'm just a nut for anything made of stone. I hope no one yelled "fire." ha

Debra She Who Seeks said...

"Liberty Jail" is a real oxymoron, isn't it?

Teresa Evangeline said...

What a sweetheart you are, to be so loving and patient with her and the setting. Must be all that Buddhism.. . :)) Great pics. I love these types of discoveries, but I can't help but wonder if the world would have been better off had he never been "allowed to escape." :) Great post.

turquoisemoon said...

Patti, That stonework was awesome! I believe she said it was about 3ft thick and then added about 2ft more in rocks. It was very interesting.

Manzanita, Yes...very cool.

Debra, Hahaha!!! yes a oxymoron! I wish I could remember everything she said about it. But I wasn't going to take notes.

Teresa, She was so sweet...after the presentation, she asked me numerous questions about Buddhism and why I searched for a new religion??? She was so devoted??? to her faith. I wonder about the wives of this church and how many of them would have the freedom to go on a "search" as I did??? During her presentation she actually stated that if what he said, wasn't the truth (which she believed it was) then he would have been believed to be insane. I refrained from mentioning schizophrenic. hahaha!!!

Murr Brewster said...

You know, they could tell you were a Buddhist because you didn't have special underwear. At least that's how I can tell.

turquoisemoon said...

Murr...oooh the magic ones!!!