Friday, April 12, 2013

Give Me Chocolate

GMO
The explosion of biotechnology in farming has allowed for more food to be produced and to resist weather changes, pests, insects and poor soil conditions. Genetically modified organism, or GMO, foods are not labeled, although most Americans want labeling of GMO foods to be mandated. There are four major GMO crops -- corn, soy, cotton and canola. Knowing the ingredients that are derived from these crops can help you to avoid GMO foods.

In an ideal world, I would condemn GMO foods...but this is not an ideal world.
Realistically, how could we feed the world using the farming practices dating back to the 50's???
I've been out taking pics of Kansas rural areas. Small farming communities are simply disappearing. The sign, above, is almost all that's left of of the town of Worden.  And there are tons of Worden type of communities out there.
Times have changed. We are living longer...so is the food poisoning us? Farmers eat it too...
Population has exploded...how could we feed the world if we relied on the farming techniques of the 50's?...and who would farm??? Land prices are out of sight! Most want a return on investment...sheesh! farmer's want a profit too...
Is this a city vs country thing? Some city folk simply don't have a clue as to real farming practices. A raised bed of veggies, in the back yard, is not farming...
I'm a city gal...so include me in the "don't have a clue" category.
I'll be real honest...I'm on a fence here.
and
NO WAY am I giving up Hershey's!!!
ommmm

20 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

But we're not even feeding the world now, as it is. Many say that hunger and starvation are caused by politics, not agricultural practices.

turquoisemoon said...

Very good point Debra!!! Like I said, I'm on the fence. And, there's nothing wrong with a label...then people can choose.

Manzanita said...

Have a happy K-day and wishing you lots of chocolates.

turquoisemoon said...

Oooh I'm a mess when it comes to chocolate! Manzanita...love your dancing posts!

One Fly said...

Corporate raised food has been and is a huge negative for humans. We've seen nothing yet and this is just my opinion.

Local vegetables and meat in Costa Rica puts what we eat to shame and that is NOT an opinion but a fact. It didn't have to be like this here but with every thing else corporations controlled farming as well with the help of those we put in office even when many were saying no to the corporate influence.

And yes a human can live quite nicely on chocolate.

Pam said...

I'll take the choccie....lol!, but I usually don't buy hershey's brand. Also, I do read labels! Choosing is good, amen sister...;) :)

turquoisemoon said...

Hi Pam! I also saw Godiva on the list. hahaha! I read labels too, but in reality, I mostly look at sodium content and calories and fat. I don't see putting info as a big deal. I will do my own researches and make my own decisions...just give me the facts is all I'd like to see.

Fly, Where have you been??? Did I have to post this just to get you out of the woodwork??? hahaha!!! Fly, I just would like a choice. Some people won't care and some will...it should be a choice! Whether or not I quit buying food with gmo should be up to me. Then (let me add this to the mix) if I eat out...should I expect info on prepared restaurant food??? Will McD's be required to post?? However...I would like to know what exactly is a chicken mcnugget??? hahaha..like I ever go there...

Pam said...

Agree! (y) (y) :)

Introverted Art said...

it is said... I agree with Debra, hunger really has much more to do with politics. But I am so not happy with eating things that are genetically modified and we do not know what the long term effects will be.

turquoisemoon said...

Ana! You're back!!! No we don't...but they've been doing it since the 50's. I've heard that almost everything has been modified to some degree...
I just love being the devils advocate!!! hahaha!!! Having fun doing this!
Normally I have pretty firm opinions, but this time, my only opinion is that we have a right to know...then make up our own minds about it.

Randy said...

I agree, Chocolate is life!

turquoisemoon said...

Me too Randy!!! Nestle and M&Ms are on the list too.

Out on the prairie said...

I went to Belgium for a day just to eat chocolate in every form of food I ate all day.My favorite is Belgium, and next the Netherlands, then the Swiss. I like a rich creamy-soft confection unlike the Hersey's. I have on many occasions engulfed huge sums of Hershey's products.LOL

turquoisemoon said...

Oooh Myyyyy... Stop already!!! Words like "rich creamy-soft confection" could cause me, a chocolate junkie, to go on a chocolate binge...

Chung said...

I love the taste of chocolate now and then!

turquoisemoon said...

Chung, I love chocolate 24/7...is that now n then??? hahaha

FOLKWAYS NOTEBOOK said...

Farming has been under siege by corporate farming for some time. We as a country have not played fair with the small time farmer. It is a sad story of corporate and governmental takeover of farming. A demand for non-GMO food has increased organic farming. So much information is available on this issue. -- barbara

turquoisemoon said...

Barbara, Yes, there's lots of information. It's a big commitment to decide to become organic. When I worked at Whole Foods, I believe they required a field to be chemical free for 3 years before they would buy from a particular farmer. Things changed after the WWII... A whole way of life changed.

Jan(JFM) said...

I really don't know enough about GMO to venture a comment, but I do worry about what is in our food and under what growing conditions we grow and harvest what we consume.

It can be pretty scary...

turquoisemoon said...

Hi Jan, My BF is a farmer and he has no worries about it whats so ever. Me on the other hand, I'd like to know for myself. I'm really concerned more about the sodium content in things...and of course, fat and calories. Hey, they just need to provide the info and people can determine if they feel it's a concern or not. I really lean to the not...but, I'm thinkin I'm the minority.