Friday, April 5, 2013

Day Trip to the Elms

In the 1880's word spread of the healing mineral waters in Excelsior Springs.
A grand hotel was built and quickly became one of the most desired destinations in the country.
In 1898, a fire destroyed the first Elms. In 1910, a fire destroyed the second.
In 1912 the third incarnation of The Elms was completed.
Hotel guests include Al Capone, Pretty Boy Floyd and Bugsy Moran. Jack Dempsey and the New York Giants visited and trained here. Harry S. Truman stayed here to avoid the stress of the Democratic campaign headquarters in Kansas City on Election Day. He was elected, did the photo ops of his victory and returned to The Elms.
I visited too....with my camera.
The staff welcomed me as a treasured guest...
Told me to, for sure, visit the European-style lap pool located in the basement. Oooh....my....wonderful!
I just checked out the rates and it looks to be about $150 per night, maybe more for some of the more luxurious rooms (like the Presidential suite) but dang....
I imagine you would end up spending lots more...food and then there's the spas that are offered.
Now, I must mention that it was indicated that it's haunted.
Even with two fires, there were no fatalities...so apparently, it's haunted by choice??? huh??? Ghosts can do this??? Ooh that's right! remember Rose went back to the Titanic to spend the rest of eternity with Jack???
The lap pool entertains the spirit of a gambler involved with illegal activities from during the speakeasy days of Prohibition. Also, a ghost wearing a 1920's style uniform has been reported.  Supposedly these are Casper kind of friendly ghosts...so no worries....hahaha
Have a great weekend...
ommmmm

12 comments:

Pam said...

Just found your blog and I am enjoying it....thank you! Boo! lol! ;)

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Thank goodness it's not the ghosts of all those gangsters!

turquoisemoon said...

Pam, Welcome...at least you found my blog while I'm being nice and not whining about something.

Debra, So..I guess we can pick where we want to haunt??? I never thought about that before...

Pam said...

LOL! I thought that's what blogs are for....to express ourselves....;).

turquoisemoon said...

Pam, Ooh yes! and I've been know to go on a tangent now n then.. hahaha!

Out on the prairie said...

What a fun place to enjoy,haven't been down there for year.I lived at an Elms in Manitou Springs,CO.

turquoisemoon said...

You used to live in Manitou Springs??? Why would anyone leave Colorado???

Randy said...

I could use a place like this right now.

Out on the prairie said...

Too many emmigrants were looking for their Mecca.Now it is Montana. I laugh today, but was in the milatary then.I was at Ft.Carson and lived in the springs, Breckenridge and Denver.While in Breckenridge I skied almost everyday and tired of the slopes.My kids are snowboarders and live to visit CO slopes.

turquoisemoon said...

Randy...you and me both~~ Some of the spa stuff sounded waaaaay to wonderful!

Steve, Oooh Ok! Do you ever get back there?? I try to get out there at least once a year. I love the fall...only went skiing twice/and not very good at it.

Arkansas Patti said...

Hey, if I were a ghost, I'd pick a cool place with lots of amenities over a ratty old falling down house.
I'd love that lap pool.

turquoisemoon said...

Patti, the lap pool is about 4ft deep. The water is warm and the room was warm...my kind of pool.