Sunday, March 10, 2013

Katz After Church

Every Sunday we went to church. Every Sunday...
But after church, we normally went for a Sunday drive. Most of the time we visited relatives, but sometimes we just went for a drive. Every once in awhile, we'd eat out...but that was rare. I can remember going to a few movies after church...mostly we saw westerns like The Searchers. Ooh and I can remember the Ten Commandments and Shane, but barely remember Shane??? maybe I fell asleep...don't remember.
Our regular church was is Overland Park, but occasionally we went to one in the Waldo area. When we went to that one, we'd get to shop around in Katz. I would head straight for the pet area. They had birds, fish, and those little turtles.  The turtle "house" was a clear plastic bowl like thing with an island in the middle. A plastic palm tree was on the island.  I loved that little turtle, but it didn't live very long...cried and cried...
Simple pleasures...visiting a drug store, maybe a movie, a drive to the country.
Things have changed so... First of all, simply can't afford to go for a drive in the country. I paid $3.79 for a gallon of gas yesterday. Close to $50 to fill up...just can't ride around and sheesh! it's at least 20 miles to the nearest "country".
Movies don't seem like such a special treat anymore. I have to make plans to take the grandbabies, way ahead of time, for any movie I'd like to take them to...or they've already seen it.  And for goodness sakes, I can't imagine telling any of them that their special Sunday treat is going to a drugstore for a couple of hours. The kids eat out all the time. The parents work, so a fly by McD's (uck!) or stopping for Chinese or IHOP is the norm for them.  The kids bore easily too. Eating out at a place that doesn't provide entertainment makes them very unhappy... (I think I've mentioned UnHappy Meals before)
Their world is so different. Dancing classes, soccer, T ball, movies in the car, ballet, video games, swimming classes, karate. They've got every toy imaginable, but don't play with them much...maybe no time??? or bored with them already??? I remember my toy box. It housed every toy I owned. Their toy box is the entire house, garage and yard. I've never seen so many toys...cept at the store.
It's kind of sad...They've been there/done that and haven't even started kindergarten.
They're bored and don't have much imagination. I never see kids just outside, playing in their yard or riding bikes...
Sure makes me wonder what they're going to be like when they hit the teens...
Gosh! I sound like my grandparents...
They were very afraid for my generation, with that crazy bouffant hairdo and that gyrating Elvis guy...
ommmm

13 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I remember those plastic turtle dishes with the palm tree too. And the turtles that never lived long.

Yes, it's a different world today, isn't it? I read, though, that the latest parenting trend is giving your kids "unstructured play time" -- i.e. just letting them "be kids" amusing themselves like we had to do, LOL!

Manzanita said...

Here's an idea for the grandkids.....cook them a nutritious meal and eat at home. Then do some of the old crafts we used to do.... string popcorn and those strips of colored paper that you circle and paste into a garland, cut dolly dingles from newspapers. Bet they've never done any of that before.

turquoisemoon said...

Debra, I love the term "parenting". Can't determine if it's a verb, noun or adverb??? hahaha...when I raised my boys, it was called surviving. This new trend of unstructured play time has not made it to KC yet. KC is slow about things like this...for example, it's only been a few years now that wearing lime green was acceptable. Now, it will be the "it" color for years...

Manzanita, I do cook for them. One time I made chicken n noodle soup, which he turned up his nose at, till I made him try it. He now wants that every time he comes over. I can do craft stuff with my granddaughter...she isn't been raised like the boys are. She's fun, while the boys are just bored if it doesn't include a new toy or going someplace that costs $$$'s. I make BF stick around while his grandsons are here...I'm just plain uncomfortable doing anything around them...if you knew his parents??? humpf! ...and it takes a tag team to look after his granddaughters. Unbelievable! But he's here, so he can see for himself...

One Fly said...

You cover A LOT of ground here girl. We went for rides as well but it was always after church in the afternoon. Not so much in the winter time.

Not many go for "rides" but this guy still does.

Got one toy for Xmas and that was all.

Kids get so much so often that when they get more all the time it literally means nothing.

I'm not a parent but I can understand easily what doesn't work.

Speaking of local stores there was a jack of stuff store small one next own over. it's still there. They had soooo much.

The baseball bats were way in the back by the rear door. You could take them outside and swing them. All us guys bought our bats there.

I will say this and it's the absolute truth and certainly judgmental because it screams out volumes.

That is - I have been in Costa Rica going on three months now. There are children of all ages everywhere much of the time. Not once I tell you have I seen a kid crying or whining,yelling or being little shits in whatever capacity where ever I've been in public. Not once!

Having said that here where I stay there are two boys in the house and two others about the same age who are neighbors. In my life I have NEVER heard boys scream sooo much. They don't like me and I don't care. Dad is keeping them in check a bit. They two here don't scream or nothing when I'm in public with them now and then. I'm told kids are taught at home to behave when outside the home.

Hey - that works real well - imagine that!

turquoisemoon said...

Fly, hahaha...I don't mind the screams of playing. I do mind spoiled pouting because I wouldn't purchase a new toy or demanding Happy Meals that are for the toys only. The food isn't eaten and they run off to play. I do mind a 5 year old telling me that he doesn't want to go to the park and play, he wants to go to some miniature golf place or some other place of his choosing...demanding is a better word. I have been known to simply take pouting boys home... Some of these kids are just rotten!!! BF's granddaughters are a mess...I just quit having them over. We meet their mother somewhere and visit. I let her handle them.

turquoisemoon said...

Fly...just another thought...I can't remember my grandmother doing anything special for me or the other grandkids. She went on with her own work and we had to play outside. There was no special entertaining...yet we knew she loved us.

Introverted Art said...

my husband and I were just talking about that... we went to our niece's birthday party, 11 and did not know what to give. We generally give money, but I wanted to give something special... but then, they have EVERYTHING and get bored fast with everything too... I remember that I had to wait a whole year to get a gift... I played outside all the time and created things, invented, made believe, made tents out of sheets, imagined...there is something lost. Kind of sad.

One Fly said...

My Dad always said you have to be able to make your own fun and I'm able to do that. My grandmother was the same and there were a bunch of us kids like there were of you guys too.

turquoisemoon said...

Ana, It really is sad. I wonder who's or what's going to entertain them the rest of their lives. What will keep their attention... Very sad.

Fly, No one entertained us. We had to create our own fun...and sometimes we were bad, but that comes with the territory. hahaha

TravelBug-Susan said...

We entertained ourselves: made tents out of card tables and blankets, played "crash bikes," hide-and-seek, rode our bikes all over the place, played board games (not bored games), rode our bikes to the movie theater to see sci-fi B movies that scared us half to death and did gymnastics in our front yard. I don't remember being bored much.

Ashling said...

I has that exact turtle house! My turtles were Moonbright and Starlight....and they also left this plane of existence rather quickly.

My hope is that if I ever had grandkids (definitely in question), the sheer novelty of yard and gardens, woods to wander,grapes to eat off the vine, flowers to water,chickens to feed and so on will be such a novelty that it will engage them. But I suspect they love just being with you!

turquoisemoon said...

OOoh Susan...cartwheels in the front yard...yes!!!

turquoisemoon said...

Ashling, WoW! So many of us had those little turtles. I had no idea. My granddaughter enjoys the things we do together. BF's grandchildren are learning... He has surprised me over this. He bends to their whims... It really kind of takes away my feelings that they're mine too. sad...