Friday, March 15, 2013

H = Home/House/Hoarder

I actually went out looking for old barns, but ended up finding all sorts of interesting/strange things in the country. No codes in the country, so anything goes. Yes, it's sitting on tracks and someone lives in it. I wondered how they even got it waaay out there???
Interesting how some people just live differently...off the grid.
I follow some blogs of people who live, full time, in their RV, and am soooo jealous. I would love to do that, but am a weenie. They travel/live in the most beautiful of places. The outdoors is the view from their windows. They live simply and simply enjoy living...
I also enjoy looking at Tiny House blogs and follow a few on facebook. Stuff is not important to these people.
I have lots of stuff...sheesh, my Lucy dog even has lots of stuff...
I wonder, when did "stuff" take over my life??? I have never felt that "stuff" was important...and yet it has appeared and multiplied. I am surrounded by my stuff... I've been thinking about this and here's an example of how it happens.
When I first got married, I got two pie pans.
Over the years, I found and bought two beautiful handmade pie plates.
My grandmother died and I got one of hers. My mom died and I got two of hers...Now I have 7 just for pies.
For baking cakes/brownies/etc, I have two 8x8 square pans. Two 8" round and two 9" and two more ??" I have four 13x9 (some lids get broken, but I keep the pans) I have one angel food and one bundt, one springform and 2 loaf cake pan. 4 cupcake/muffin pans. When mom passed, I just couldn't get rid of some of her glass baking dishes??? Sheesh! Total 21 (I think there may be 4 glass pans, not included in my count) pans for baking.
7 for pies
                   + 21 for cakes/brownies/etc
------------------------
Total 28....geeeez!!!
Now let's add in all the carrying thingies that go with taking baked dishes to events.
I'm really Not a hoarder, but then sometimes ??? a person begins to wonder...
Thinkin I'd better get out in the kitchen and bake something...anything...
ommmm



16 comments:

My Journey With Candida said...

Hahahaha.... you are as bad as I am with the pie plates. Lucky for me I have a Daughter and 2 Grandaughters that I will share with. Some of my pie plates I just love... they are the really old ones with the recipe on them.

I had one from my Grandmother but have given it to my Daughter.

One Fly said...

No you are not a hoarder but could it be a mess instead. That's a yoke not a judgement.

There's a lady here on the other side who has lived in Costa Rica two years. She only brought what came on the plane.

A good bud who writes music travels with all he owns in a couple small sit cases or equivalent. I have very little compared to most others and it's way too much. If I move I will have much less when it's over.

farmlady said...

Stuff happens. It's part of our American way of life. I, too, wonder how I have accumulated so much "stuff". I'm in the process of dealing with my years of gathering "stuff" and it's a nightmare. Good luck in your endeavour.
Love the idea of living in a train... or any interesting small place. Great photo.

Arkansas Patti said...

You need to move. That really trims down the "stuff". It worked when I moved to Arkansas, now I need to move again. It never ends.

turquoisemoon said...

My Journey, How does stuff like this happen??? I swear, I'm really not a hoarder!!! If you saw my house...sheesh, everything has a place and I'm very organized, but, when I started thinking about moving into one of those tiny homes, I got to thinking about all this stuff?!!

Fly, I'm constantly giving to Good Will, but the stuff just keeps coming back. I actually tend to get rid of stuff..sheesh!!!

Farmlady, I got rid of tons of stuff, then BF's mother passed and he brought in a truckload from her place. Had a huge garage sale and then gave away so much... I've tossed too...this just makes me crazy!!!

Patti, Good idea!!! but, I vowed I'm not moving again. How do people that live in RV's bake brownies, cupcakes, round layer cakes, sheet cakes, angel food with pudding icing, poke cakes, a cheesecake??? hahaha How did this happen to me???

Debra She Who Seeks said...

We know a guy who is a hoarder and lives in a trailer. His trailer burned down when a piece of styrofoam junk caught fire from a hot light bulb. It was a blessing in disguise. Now he's moving into a new apartment, junk free (at least for the moment).

turquoisemoon said...

Debra, BF's mother was a hoarder...very scary!!! I never, ever saw anything like it. I researched it and read that it's not easy to stop. He'll probably start up again unless he gets some help. All my pans and pie plates stack nicely together, if they didn't I'd get rid of them. I was thinking about my mom's glass baking dishes and wondered when I'd ever use any of them...then I thought...fudge!!! What kind of person puts fudge in a regular pan??? hahaha

TravelBug-Susan said...

We have been full-time RVers for 1-1/2 years. Here's how we make cake.

First mix together one box of angel food cake mix and one box of a cake mix flavor of your choice in a ziploc freezer bag. Zip bag. Shake and mix the two cake mixes together.

3-2-1 Cake

Find a mug

Into the mug put:
3 Tbsp. cake mix
2 Tbsp. water
Mix well with a fork to the consistency of moist cake mix.

Place mug with cake mix in the microwave. Microwave for one minute.

Voila! Cake! You can frost it if you want.

Variation: Cook cake mix in microwave for 10 seconds. Drop in an unwrapped Hershey's Kiss or other bite-sized candy of choice. Microwave for an additional 50 seconds.

We also bake cakes, muffins, meat loaf, etc., in our convection ovens.

turquoisemoon said...

Susan, I love this!!! I love following your adventures and am a tad bit jealous of your lifestyle...well a lot jealous!!! All of you RVr's have such a rich life. Photo's of the coolest of places doing the funnest of things. I even went to the RV show here in KC... OOhhh...just dreamin!! Thanks for sharing your recipe! and your adventures...

turquoisemoon said...

OOh and Susan, In all honestly, BF and I don't need an entire cake/treat. A mug treat would work perfectly around here... I can't wait to try it!

Out on the prairie said...

With two homes I have expanded my dishes for baking.The ones you inherited are priceless, I bet you still hear their comments and suggestions when using them.

turquoisemoon said...

Steve, I must take a pic of my Grandmothers. It's only about an inch tall. I can remember being a little girl looking right at it (eye level) as it was cooling - right out of the oven. Red raspberry pie...fresh from the garden!

Introverted Art said...

I do too... I look at the little houses being built in the country, the simple living and have this sense of yearning... my hubby asked me to stop the yearning ;-) he ain't moving to no trailer in the wild. hehehehe

turquoisemoon said...

Ooh Ana...too Funny!!! I'm sure BF would agree with your hubby...hahaha

FOLKWAYS NOTEBOOK said...

Stuff can slide right into our lives without us even realizing it. Then we wake up one day and ask ourselves where did all this stuff come from? Your list includes memories of family which are the most difficult to let go. Find the commuter train car rather interesting. I remember a caboose that someone lived in when I lived in Oregon. Thought it would be so neat to do so. Good post. -- barbara

turquoisemoon said...

Hi Barbara! I was sure thinking of you while out looking for old barns and stuff. Parking is so difficult in some of the places and I don't like to park in driveways. Kind of feel like I'm trespassing. Sometimes the side of the road is a ditch with steep, muddy slopes. There's a beautiful white barn and I've been there twice, but no place to park. I'm thinking I'm going to have to take someone with me, drop me off, then pick me up after a few minutes. It certainly is a challenge...