Saturday, January 19, 2013

Gallery Walk with Coffee

The Collectors Guide to the Art of New Mexico
http://www.collectorsguide.com/index.php
There are days when I'd love to go on a gallery walk. See some art. See colors. Be inspired.
Well KC is not the place...
Sure there are spots around town, but one must go looking. KC is fun...don't get me wrong, but KC is also confused. I honestly think it's a wannabe Chicago, but doesn't know how to get there. Other cities seem to embrace their history and then blend in current art, buildings, restaurants, shopping areas...take Denver, San Antonio, Gatlinburg and many, many more.  I'm not saying that there's no art in the KC area,  there's a gallery here/there and often art is hidden in coffee shops and I've even seen some in a couple of grocery stores.??? 
There are artists around, but I just don't think they're supported here. Think-Hallmark Cards is here, so I know artists are around...in fact I know some and see their work at festivals, just not really in galleries.
I know of several artists that are hardly recognized locally, but their work is shown all over the country???
I've visited younger families. Their homes are filled with photos of their children.....ugh!!! maybe a wall, or a hall area, but the entire house???  that sure wouldn't promote romance...hahaha (if you knew their kids) anyway, other areas are decorated in safe, mass produced decor.
Sheesh...I've gotten way off the track here. I wanted to talk about this web site??? how did I get so far off??? Anyway, when I'm craving an artistic lift, I check out the galleries listed in this little book or the web site.  They have the web sites listed and sometimes virtual tours.  I visit Taos, Santa Fe, Madrid, Las Cruces, Rodeo, Albuquerque.  I see what's new, what's colorful, what's exciting without having to pay for gas or even get out of my chair. I see the recycled art, the edgy.   I see what's being created... &&& I'm still in my jammies sipping on a cup of coffee.
ommmm

9 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Thank goodness for the internet, eh?

turquoisemoon said...

Oooh yes!!! I gallery hop all the time. I visit towns then check out the local artists. I also love, luv, luv webcams.

Jane said...

I hear you! I've also been in homes that were slathered in either kids pics and/or cheap (bit not neccessarily 'cheap') decor pieces. Ick! I favour original pieces - be it paintings, carvings or pottery. The internet is such a fabulous resource.

turquoisemoon said...

Jane...Ooh me too!!! At least put your children's art up! Ooh and I love my grandbabies, but pleeze don't give me a huge photo (wrap no-less) of your children!!! At my age, my house is done. Decorated. Finished. ...and it's definitely southwest! Sometimes I would love to change my decor, but at 65 I'm simply not going to. I love art and there's so much out there that is simply breathtaking. So why buy what's just in the box stores??? Also, I love the shabby chic look...and I know some of these gals are creative, so why not make some of their own??? Ooh must I say it??? I just don't get this younger generation!!!

One Fly said...

I saw some interesting painted piggys along the road today that I thought were kinda cool. I will send you the picture.

I think in some places as you say the US is a land of mediocrity.

I have not posted on it yet but it seems the meat here is better than in the States. That's excluding beef as I've not done much with that.

Introverted Art said...

I would love to visit New Mexico with all its mysticism, UFO sightings and the beautiful desert.

turquoisemoon said...

Ana, Look at that website. You'll be amazed at the art! Oooh geez...there's great art everywhere, cept here in Ks. This is such a conservative state. If it doesn't have sunflowers on it or a wizard of oz theme, it's considered edgy...hahaha. NM is wonderful...!!!

Fly, Luv the piggys. Too cute! So you need to post all about what you're eating.

Linda Starr said...

I live in what the bigger city Floridians call the pea patch so I know just how you feel; I crave a good gallery walk or art scene so many times. I usually get my fix from the blogs, but a virtual gallery walk I am so ready to go there. I don't have one family photo on my walls. Just came back from my morning walk, I think I'll go on a gallery walk, thanks for the link.

turquoisemoon said...

Linda, I think you'll love this web site. I crave it sometimes. I don't have family photos on my walls either, but have received many large ones as gifts...rather awkward sometimes.