Monday, December 3, 2012

Luminary Walk/March

The local arboretum has had a luminary walk the last two weekends. 
With the weather here in the upper 60's (not typical Kansas weather) I thought,  what a great time to try some nighttime photography.  Never tried it before... Little did I know that there would be thousands there. It was more of a luminary march. I don't know...maybe because it was so warm out...but that place was a zoo.
Babies crying, teens complaining...geez!!!
I felt sorry for several young couples, holding hands and trying to create a romantic evening...sheesh..."sorry my tripod bumped you...shouldn't of stopped for a kiss, in this crowd, without some kind of warning!"
First of all...Take those crying babies home, give them a bath and put them to bed. I realize "parenting" is now a verb and you're trying to show them a good time or something to remember. Sorry, but I don't remember anything prior to the age of 5. They won't either...
Now for the over 5 year olds...If they say "McDonalds" one more time, ban it for life!!! It would be healthier in the long run. Sorry, and if you say "time out" one more time to your over 5 year old, you need to be banned from supposedly calming places like a candlelit walk.
AND...you brought your teen??? What were you thinking???
So what about me??? What's wrong with my attitude???
Thinking of a couple of lines from Steel Magnolias...
  "I'm not crazy, M'Lynn, I've just been in a very bad mood for 40 years! ... Well, you know what they say: if you don't have anything nice to say about anybody, come sit by me!"
In reality, I haven't been practicing my morning meditations. New puppy demands to sit on my lap while trying to meditate. Rushing to get things done before surgery on Wed. Working...
They say that if you can't take time to meditate for 20 minutes, then you probably need 40 minutes.
ommmmmmm

20 comments:

Jane of The Jewels said...

Hahaha!! I so agree - young parents these days are so over the top. They spend all their energies creating 'moments' (and of course taking pictures and videos the entire time) for children who won't even remember a thing of it. My parents just did their thing - it wasn't all about us! And as for teens - no teen I know would be caught dead at an arboretum - especially with their parents :D

turquoisemoon said...

Oooh I know... For goodness sakes! 2 of my granddaughters have at least 4 birthday parties. One on the actual day, another for family, another for out of town family and another for friends. They're not even in school yet. And these parties are not just cake and ice cream...they're parties!!! and presents??? mounds of presents. The teens??? Saturday night with mom and dad at the arboretum??? They'd rather be home watching scary movies...or anything. The problem with teens is that they try to destroy the event for everyone else. I'm cranky, for sure, but it was simply not enjoyable with misbehaving children and sappy parents begging for them to be good and counting (one, two, three) and threatening "time out".

Ashling said...

LOL---Amen!!! I'm appalled at what so often passes for parenting these days! Take that child home! Better yet, don't bring the child, pay your teen to stay home with the baby, and go with your significant other for a romantic calming walk!!

turquoisemoon said...

OOoh Ashling, I have a part time gig at a local retail store. You should see what "parenting" is there. The kids are either crying or destroying stuff. Some parents over do this parenting thing...others are oblivious to what their children are doing because they are texting/whatever. There's got to be a middle of the road. Most of the children I see today are spoiled absolutely rotten... Geez...I sound like my mother...

Introverted Art said...

Children who won't remember or care! hahaha I recently found out I threw a tantrum because I didn't want to walk anymore. Apparently, I just laid on the ground and refused to move... my mom? She just walked away and left me there. Let's say, I got up real fast. No helicopter parenting here ;-)

Rubye Jack said...

I never was the best of mothers but I sure don't ever recall my kid screaming in stores, but I never was one for spanking either. Here, kids get whacked left and right. It's sad. In California, they used to always say "good job" to everything the kid did. There must be a happy medium.

turquoisemoon said...

Ana, hahaha...that is so funny! You know, I just wonder "who" is in charge???? Parents seem to cater to their every whim anymore. Just watch when you're out some time.

Rubye, I hear you... Here where I live, the kids rule. Parents count to three and threaten time outs. Don't the parents see what they're doing to those kids??? There really has to be a happy medium somewhere.

I just want to say that there was over 3000 people there on Friday night and close to that many on Saturday. Way too many for such a small area. Yes! I was cranky. I was not centered because for the last two weeks I haven't been doing my meditations. The bad behavior of many of those children and that crazy parenting was soooo annoying! I promise to get back into my morning meds...meditation that is...

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Luminaria walks should be peaceful and zen-like. I've attended some that are -- it's wonderful. But I've also attended crowded ones full of kids like the one you described. It sucked all the joy out of it -- i shoulda stayed home.

turquoisemoon said...

Debra, I should have just packed up my camera and headed home too. It could have been beautiful, but it was much to crowded and noisy.

Out on the prairie said...

Gorgeous shot, I would enjoy seeing more

Jane of The Jewels said...

Just wanted to wish you all the best on your surgery tomorrow :) I'm sure you can't wait for this to be behind you.

turquoisemoon said...

Jane, Thanks...I'm not looking forward to it, but will be glad to be done with it. I think surgery is always distressing, no matter what the circumstances...probably one of the reasons I was cranky.

Steve, Thank you! That part was fun. The best shots were by the water. Reflections always seem to make the pic more interesting.

Linda said...

What a great post...LOL I love the honesty of it...and your photo came out brilliant...and I sure wouldn't have been there with the rents when I was a teen!!! LOL Good luck with the surgery tomorrow...not sure what it is for but surgery is surgery...Heal well TM XO

turquoisemoon said...

Linda, What teen would??? and just what do teens do when they're unhappy??? make everyone around them miserable...
At the end of September, I fell on some spilled mushrooms at a Chinese Buffet and broke my hand. The fall also damaged two of my knuckles (apparently I tried to break my fall) so I'm having surgery to repair my knuckles...

FOLKWAYS NOTEBOOK said...

Will be thinking of you and your surgery -- be well -- barbara

turquoisemoon said...

Thank you Barbara...

Linda Starr said...

I hate big crowds, but I have always wanted to go to a luminary, hope your surgery goes well.

turquoisemoon said...

Oooh Linda!!! it was beautiful! but the crowd was unbelievable. I'm leaving for the hospital in a few minutes...yUK!!!

Annmarie Pipa said...

haha..but the parents want to give their 18 month old an experience of a lifetime!

turquoisemoon said...

Annmarie...silly huh!