Friday, November 2, 2012

Wildlife Photography Gone Wrong

 In early October, I went to RMNP to take pics of elk with my new camera. I spent a week running from place to place trying to get "that" shot. Nothing went as planned. I spent hours out in the park only to find the herd in downtown Estes Park.
Could not get that close-up with the camera I was using. The camera, with good zoom, had a dead battery...ugh!!! Think this was mentioned in Photography 101. Battery check...
He was magnificent!!! Majestic...till I saw the netting and broken tree limbs in his antlers.
Geez...
hmmmm...a good wildlife photo taken on the golf course?  Just doesn't seem "wild"...
They're out for the food...not a photo shoot. ooh...and you might want to get the food out of your teeth.
I finally got 2 good pics, one of a mule deer and one of the big horn pictured above.
Wildlife photographers make it look sooo simple, but that's because they do it so well.
I'm sure luck plays into it and just the sheer number of pics they must take. 
For sure, the animals don't pose...
ommmm

14 comments:

Out on the prairie said...

What a lovely time searching for tht great shot

turquoisemoon said...

Steve, Yes...this is as close as I get to hunting. It was really great fun. Too bad I didn't get even 1 good elk picture. Oooh well...there's next year. :)

Debra She Who Seeks said...

What are they all doing in that first photo -- shopping downtown?

turquoisemoon said...

Debra, Causing a traffic jam... They were right in front of me, but wouldn't hold still and say cheese.

Introverted Art said...

oh I would not care about the jam at all, just to be able to look at these beauties so up close.

turquoisemoon said...

Ana, I didn't care either. Love "hunting" elk...with my camera of course.

Arkansas Patti said...

I think you got some great shots. They really are beautiful animals. Loved the big horn looking right at you.
One of my proudest moments was turning a devote meat hunter into a photo hunter. Like you he found it much more rewarding.

FOLKWAYS NOTEBOOK said...

I once was in an adult ed class with a professional nature photographer. He made a presentation of how he gets those great shots. Sitting all day is not one thing I want to engage in -- just for the right shot. Your shots were very good -- barbara

One Fly said...

I think the second picture when zoomed in of the bull is fantastic. The sheep picture does not enlarge because that could be a real good one too.

turquoisemoon said...

Patti, I love hunting!...with my camera, thermos and binoculars. And when "hunting" elk, I normally have fold over sandwiches, so I don't have to leave early to go get dinner. I stay till dark. I also love hearing them bugle...very cool!

Barbara, I would sit days on end for a really cool pic of an elk!!! Besides there's lots going on during rut.

Fly, I'll post the two pics that did turn out. Hope they zoom...

AntiquityTravelers said...

seriously great photos! I've got a few from last Fall of Moose up near our place in the Adirondacks ... the color, the water and the Moose ... sigh.

turquoisemoon said...

Antiquity, Looked for moose, but the ranger said that they tend to disappear during rut. Never been to Adirondacks. Love RMNP...

TravelBug-Susan said...

I think a good way to get good nature/animal photos is to use a great deal of patience. Also, move around as much as possible for a different angle.

You got a beautiful photo of the ram eating while looking strraight at you.

I LOL'd at the shopping comment!

TravelBug-Susan

turquoisemoon said...

Susan, I've been going out RMNP for years and watching elk. This is the first year I've had a good camera. I took lots of pics over the years, but again, not with a good camera. I love that time of year out there. Love listening to the elk bugle and watch them try to herd up the cows. Oooh Great Fun!!!