Thursday, November 8, 2012

Vacation to Nowhere

I love driving. I love crossing Kansas and heading for Colorado. 
I've mentioned before how, when I hit the Flint Hills, my mind goes to the early settlers and how I drone on and on about their struggles (don't get me started)...
It's a 10/11 hour drive from my house to RMNP, depending on stops. I normally leave early and drive it in one day. I hop on I-70 and zoom... This time I didn't leave till noonish and didn't have reservations for that evening.  Funny how reservations dictate a vacation.
When I drive to NM, I never take the interstate and always see interesting things. When I head for RMNP, all I've got on my mind is getting there. I tend to forget possible sights on the way.
I stopped in Goodland, Ks for the evening. A place I think of as "windy". Either hot wind, in the summer or cold in the winter. I would barely venture away from the I-70 exit, stopping only for gas or food. 
This time, I checked into a motel for the evening and headed toward town for something beside highway food. 
I was delighted by this town. Brick roads and all sorts of fun things to take pics of, but it was late and the sun was almost down and I still had dinner to think of. I live in the Kansas City area and restaurants stay open, but in smaller towns, I've found that they close up earlier. 
By the time I finished dinner it was completely dark outside. I headed back to the motel, but vowed to stop back in Goodland on my way home from RMNP.
I did and was delighted by some of the shots I got. 
Cars pose for pics...animals don't!
  ...and isn't it fun just to drive??? to get off the main highways??? not worry about reservations somewhere??? just go where the wind takes you???
I always vow to take a vacation to no where...
ommmm

14 comments:

Jane of The Jewels said...

These are fabulous shots! I also love nothing more than a road trip - especially if I can stop at small towns along the way & check out their second-hand shops. I've never blown where the wind took me... always a destination in mind and feeling like I've got be there by a certain time... I'd really like to try that out sometime :)

Teresa Evangeline said...

Love your photos! and I am so ready for some road time! Sounds like great fun!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

That is a great looking old truck! Yes, how lovely it is just to "mosey."

Arkansas Patti said...

Sounds great to me. I love lack of time table and getting off the free ways. So much more to see. Then the trip is as much fun as the destination.

Ashling said...

Cool beans. Sounds like an adventure to me!

turquoisemoon said...

Jane, I've always had a destination too...except when I go to NM. When I'm heading to NM, I just drive SW and eventually get there.

Teresa, I'm surprised you haven't taken one this year.

Debra, I'm thinking it would be so much fun just to head out with no destination or reservations anywhere.

Patti, Yep, there is so much to see. I tend to make reservations somewhere and that puts me on a timetable. I've never been anywhere where there wasn't plenty of motels, so I don't know why I do this to myself?!!!

Ashling, Wouldn't that be just a great one??? Travel the back roads to wherever???

Linda Starr said...

Great truck with super patina, Gary and I have done a lot of traveling without a destination in mind and that's when we find the best places and inspirations.

turquoisemoon said...

Linda, I would love to do that!

One Fly said...

I am right there with you - every mile. Outstanding photos!

turquoisemoon said...

Fly, Thanks!

FOLKWAYS NOTEBOOK said...

Great truck/advertising photo. Yes it is great to take off and travel the backroads. Getting to be quite expensive to do anymore. - barbara

turquoisemoon said...

Hey Barbara...do you remember Sunday drives. My parents and grandparents used to go for a Sunday drive. Geez...we sure can't afford that anymore...

Kathy said...

Love this rusted beauty!

turquoisemoon said...

Kathy...that ole car was the coolest!