Tuesday, November 13, 2012

My Personal Photo Challenge

Last week I went to the American Royal Cutting Horse Show. I wanted to practice some action photography.
The first day, I shot tons of pics and all of them were either boring or butt shots or blurs. When I got home, I transferred the pics to the puter and was very unhappy. I was sitting here looking at my shots...wondering what could I do to make them more interesting??? when I noticed the picture above. No...it's not a great photo, but it gave me an idea.
The next morning, I changed the settings on my camera and headed back to the show. I challenged myself to get better photos. I posted some of them on my Nov. 9th blog. They did show the athletic capabilities of the horse, but were still  -  b o r i n g...
I remembered my challenge and changed the settings again, feeling that I could keep trying the same shots or try something different and maybe, just maybe get some photos that were a tad more creative.
I set the camera to aperture priority, and aimed for just the horses head.
Most of the shots were a blur...but some achieved what I was looking for...well 2 of them did.
To me, these are more interesting than the ones I posted the other day??? 
No...these are not exceptional...but I like the effect. I'm thinking that with some practice, I could possibly get a cool photo one of these days. But...geez...another year till the American Royal...
ommmm

16 comments:

Teresa Evangeline said...

I agree. These are more visually interesting than those from the other day. Love the third one of the rider and calf running almost side by side.

Out on the prairie said...

It is hard not to move when shooting action.Sometimes a tripod can be good.I like the textured effect.

turquoisemoon said...

Teresa, I agree! Need much more practice, and I think I can change another setting and make them better. Too bad there's no more cutting shows for awhile...dang!

Steve, I've seen real photographers use tripods for action shots, but I'm wondering how it works, since the subject is up/down, right/left, forward/way back??? What I'll do is take these pics to my favorite photo shop and maybe they can give me some needed tips??? This whole photo thingie has been a real learning experience for me...but I love it!

Jane of The Jewels said...

They're all great! I've never tried my hand at any true action shots - so I'm already impressed :) I will agree that these ones do capture even more of the action - you actually feel immersed in it.

turquoisemoon said...

Thanks Jane! So far action seems the hardest I've tried. hahaha...Sports Illustrated is not in my future. But dag gum I'm having fun.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

You're right -- it IS a cool effect! What other fast-moving sports events are in your area? Car racing? Horse racing? Ice hockey, LOL?

Introverted Art said...

i think you took great shots, visually intriguing...although I'd be highly interested in some of those butt shots.

turquoisemoon said...

Debra, Well it sure won't be the K C Chiefs...hahah oooh what loooosers they are!!! You know, I'll have to check out some sport events around KC, but I really love the horses.

Ana...those butt shots are of the horses, not the cowboys!!! hahaha

Linda Starr said...

These are great, now there must be other sports you could use or is there a riding stable near by you could go to and take some photos?

turquoisemoon said...

Linda, There's lots of stables, but there's an intensity at shows. But you're right...I'll just go to my old stable. Ooor...after the holidays, I could do some road trips to hit some local shows. YES!!!

Linda said...

I like the blurred look it looks like movement which is what was going on...Those are hard pictures to take too...I think you did great...I love photography...I want to get into it more now that things are settling down...hopefully anyway LOL

turquoisemoon said...

Linda, I love photography too!!! I think, really think that I zen out when I'm taking pics and that's one of the reasons I love it so much. And...there's so much room for improvement. It's just fun...

FOLKWAYS NOTEBOOK said...

Is your shutter speed set high enough? Maybe point at the head as it doesn't move as much as the horse and the horse will still be blurred but the cowboy will not be as much and this might give you a good contrast. I am not a guru at this -- just something I have learned along the way through experience. But like Linda sometimes action is good blurred. -- barbara

turquoisemoon said...

Barbara, I want the horses head to be in focus, not the cowboy...but maybe the speed just wasn't high enough. That's a good point. I'll check this out. And, Thanks!!! I appreciate your help.

Linda Myers said...

I like the effect you got. Looks like a deliberate effect, not an accident.

turquoisemoon said...

Thank you Linda. Photography so so much fun and such a challenge. Not like what you've gone thru. Your retirement is way to difficult for me, but congrats to you...