Friday, September 7, 2012

Just Practicing and Learning

On Wednesday evenings, I've been taking some photo classes.  This is my second go-around. The first time I took them, just the words confused me...like F-Stop, aperture, etc. 
This time, I'm actually learning some things. Get to listen instead of just taking lots of notes.
There are so many things I want to learn to do with my camera.
This week we went over shutter speed. 
Thursday morning, I got up and really wanted to practice some of the things I had learned the night before.
Oooh...this is why my girlfriends really don't want to be around me while I do my picture takin...
We're no longer in triple digits in Kansas. It's cooled off to a mild (and humid) 95ish.
I needed a waterfall and Kansas really isn't known for waterfalls...but, I knew where I could find a fake one. 
The first pic is at the Arboretum and as you can see, the waterfall is not really picturesque this time of year. Also, in the first picture I just took a "stand in front and click"  kindof pic... 
What I wanted to practice/learn was slowing the shutter speed so I can get more of a misty effect.
Hours later, I got it.
 I used a tripod, but every time I'd press the shutter button, I could feel the camera move.
I now have a remote shutter release.
No... these are not great photos of a beautiful waterfall.
But I did learn how to get that misty effect.
I think I've finally played with all the features on my camera.
I bet I took 100 pics...
By the time I was done, I was a tad "misty?" too.
I have found that photography is something I must do by myself... alone
 The word "focused" seems to come to mind...
ommmm




.



10 comments:

CorvusCorax12 said...

thinking of taking another course myself...all those settings contuse me too.

One Fly said...

The last picture is in focus. If you have an old 35mm SLR around TMoon open the back and manipulate the setting and watch the lens and what the changes do. It's easier to understand when you see it rather than trying to imagine what happening. It helped me a bunch anyway.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I love the "misty effect" on photos of waterfalls. The first time I saw it was on a big poster which I bought and took home for my wall. Bravo to you for mastering it!

turquoisemoon said...

CorvusCorax, This is the second time I've taken the classes and I am amazed at how much I'm learning...this time! Take the classes!

Fly, On the last pic, I tried so hard not to move the camera. On my way home, I stopped and got the remote. No old 35's around, but I think I've got it figured out. I said "think"...hahaha

Debra, I love that misty look too! Now I'm just waiting for a reeel waterfall... hmmm thinkin a trip to Colorado may be in the picture (pun intended).

quietmind279 said...

Your pictures are BEAUITFUL!!!

turquoisemoon said...

Oooh thanks! Quietmind... Thank you for dropping by...

Rubye Jack said...

Photography is a demanding hobby, but can be so rewarding. Nice photos!

Introverted Art said...

the waterfall shots are very beautiful. Somethings are done better when we are alone, without the cacophony of noises and chatter.

Ashling said...

Love reading about your learning process, and I like the photos....even if it's a 'fake' waterfall (sure fooled me)!

turquoisemoon said...

Ana, Ooh yes, I agree. It seems that I have to be alone to do any of my art/craft/photo projects. I actually like being alone. I feel that I'm very "present" while doing them and that feels goood...

Ashling, It's been a very slow process. All these take time for this ole gal to figure out and understand.