Sunday, September 9, 2012

Fur Baby Update

The rescue of two little fur babies (Copernicus & Delisle) is completed.
These are just two of the ladies that made this rescue possible. The lady on the left brought both dogs to the meeting place in Joplin. The lady on the right took Delisle on to a foster home in Oklahoma and I brought Copernicus back with me. I hooked up with another lady here and she took the dog home to Tecumseh, Ks.
These were puppy mill kids. They were rescued, then sent to the vet and spa. And I guess they really really needed lots done. Then a coordinator found them foster homes and set up this transport.  We transported them to their foster homes.  I thought they were going to their forever homes, but I was wrong.
When I hooked up with the lady that was going to be Copernicus'  foster mom, she explained even more things that go on behind the scenes. It will be at least two weeks before either one of these little guys will be posted on the web site and even more time will go by before they're even ready to look for a forever home. This lady has been with Colonel Potter Cairn Rescue since the very beginning. Copernicus is her 161st foster baby...Can you imagine that!!! What a woman... 161 foster babies.
I asked her how she is ever able to give them up...she explained that you treat them like grandchildren. You love them, feed them, train them, whatever...then send them home.
Lots of people have been involved with this one rescue that I haven't mentioned. People work on the computer, take pics, buy supplies, raise funds, etc... I'm so impressed...
Delisle was very scared. That poor little girl was shaking and ooooh...her scared little eyes...just breaks your heart.  Copernicus was very brave. He just laid in his crate, didn't hear a peep out of him all the way home.  But when you'd look in his eyes, there was just such sadness... I told him that his life was going to get better, I sure wish he could understand.
I'm ready to do this again, and again, and again...
ommmmm

16 comments:

Linda Myers said...

Such fine people to help out these little guys.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Blessings to all who do such humane work!

Out on the prairie said...

I used to do a six month follow up on pups when I raised Boxers and showed them.I really grilled everyone when sending them to new homes.

FOLKWAYS NOTEBOOK said...

What a commendable act of mercy these women are involved with. I have often thought of being a foster mom but have never acted on it. Probably the reason being is I have moved so often. -- barbara

turquoisemoon said...

Linda, This was my first time. The only thing I thought I could do would be to become a foster and I work or am gone too much to do that. After some research, I realized that there were other areas in which I could help. I just didn't think about all that goes on behind the scene.

Debra, This is the most rewarding thing I've done in a long time. I'm hooked...

Steve...Oooh my...See this is what I'm talking about. There's so much more going on than just being a foster. Do you still do this?

Barbara...I've always worked so I never thought I could get involved either. When I heard about becoming a transporter, I knew that this is where I could fit in. They reimburse you for gas and your mileage is documented and can be a tax deduction. For some reason, I thought that fostering was the only thing I could do...I'm just starting to find out all the other things that support these organizations.

Teresa Evangeline said...

What a wonderful thing to be involved in. I've been thinking of something along these lines. You made me realize all the help that's needed, even behind the scenes. Thank you.

turquoisemoon said...

Teresa, I believe it took 7 transporters to shuttle these two little ones just to get them to their foster homes. Ooooh do it! It feels so good.

Introverted Art said...

Thank you for being such an amazing angel to our furry friends.

turquoisemoon said...

Ana, This was amazing. I've seen the ad with the scared dog on TV but never in person. These little babies just broke my heart. I hope to be able to help for a long time... The lady that took the little guy from me told me about Katrina dogs and how many people were involved with that rescue. Oooh my...

One Fly said...

Great story - great picture. So bright and vibrant.

turquoisemoon said...

Fly, I'm so glad I've gotten into this. It really does make you feel good. The organization is wonderful and I'm glad I'm now part of it.

Sandy said...

What geat work you are part of...I have to say, I love the name Copernicus! =) My partner will love this story.

turquoisemoon said...

Ooh Sandy, thank you for dropping by.

Randy said...

Great job!

womanbread said...

Thank you so much for doing all that you're doing for these precious angels that need our help. While I've never fostered with a rescue centre or shelter, I have always taken in strays or abandoned or abused cats, either temporarily providing care and shelter until I could find a forever home for them, or, if at all possible, become their forever mom. Bless you for your compassion and your empathy and your love for these furbabies. - June

turquoisemoon said...

Hi June, How wonderful that you take in stray/abandoned/cats... we each do our part to help. Thank you...